Logo

Help to identify an engine

noise_boy

"I am helping a friend get a &

"I am helping a friend get a "new" engine into a converted MFV. I know it is a marinized Ford 6 cylinder with turbo and without glow plugs but that is all.

292870.jpg
Unknown marinized Ford 6 cylinder turbo diesel"">

There is no previous history to go on only the lump sitting next to the boat looking a bit sorry for itself.

The ID plate on the flywheel housing gives some dimensions of the original engine internals (crank pins etc) there is no plate on the rocker cover.

If I were to find a serial number would I be able to find out more about it? What format would this number take?

I have included a photo that may help.

I had thought it could be a 6D363TC (2704-ET) but this model WAS fitted with glow plugs so I am at a loss at present.

I hope someone may be able to help,

Regards,

Harry"

"G' Day Harry,

"G' Day Harry,
Could be one of 2 models either a 2704et 150hp or a 2725et @173hp my monies on it being a 2704et with a holset puffer most of the 2704s came out without glows the simm's fuel pump is fitted with a excess fuel device; push in a button on end of stop lever. Numbers could be on bellhousing, behind fuel filters or on of head.
Cheers,
Shakey.

filters or on side of head."

"Thanks, This one is fitted wi

"Thanks, This one is fitted with the Minimec fuel pump and has the excess fuel button. i will have another look round it for more numbers. it has been given an overall covering of paint that may be hiding some more info. If i find a number on the head or block i guess it will be the original Ford info. will i be able to use this to discover its "marine" history?

H"

"G Day Harry,
Yes

"G Day Harry,
Yes your right it will be ford info ,given a guess i would go for a Bowman conversion from pomey land [england] as it is known in oz.A google search may uncover more info.
Cheers,
Shakey."

"Shakey's right, a Bowman

"Shakey's right, a Bowman marinized engine. May also be an Industrial Engines (BC, Canada) job. If that's a PRM Newage transmission on the back, it's more likely the English Bowman. If the front timing cover is tin and block casting starts with 2700 or 683F, it's a 2704ET Dorset. If the front cover is aluminum and the casting number starts out like 826F, it's a 2728T Dover."

Got some more info off it toda

Got some more info off it today. I could not find the plate with the cubic inch diplacement that should be behind the fuel filters or the serial number plate by the coolant temp sensor. However i have got the two original Ford numbers:

Cast in the block: PB T4 703F 6015 BA
Cast in the head: 823F 6090 GAA

Can anyone shed any light on what these might indicate?

It does have Bowman heat exchangers fitted.

Thanks for your help so far!

Harry

Im in the same boat (so to say) having been told the motor I have is a 120HP lehman but it has no ID plates and the stamp on the rocker cover is "foMoCo 270e 6450b with the block stamp (in cast) on the starter side "PBT4 703f 6015ba".
I have also found a "306" stamp on the head ( I thing) behind the filters where the cu should be but these numbers are not relating to any others I have found in my web searches. Its in 38ft kauri/oak UK made motor launch and I have not tryed to start it as yet as other repairs are first. Any info appreciated Ta.

Copy 42 has a 360 cube 150 hp engine. Noise boy has 363 cube 150 hp. Engine serial # is located on a flat pad on engine block behind injection pump and starts with letter s------. If you post these #'s i will tellyou year of build. You must change oil in injection pump every oil change.

Back