Logo

Carb fuel leak

pilot481

Regular Contributor
"Finnally getting the bugs out

"Finnally getting the bugs out of this old engine, ran really good at low speed, idles beautifully, hi end was crap. When I rebuilt the carb there was no nozzel seal present so I assumed this carb didnt need one. Fooled me!!! So.. now I have that fixed one last thing rears its ugly head. The seals on the hi speed needle. I have a small leak between the fitting and the needle. Yes I replaced the seals but Im afraid if I tighten up the compression fitting any more Im going to snap it off. The carb kit had hard fiber seals How in the heck am I supposed to get them to seal????"

"Not exactly sure of your prob

"Not exactly sure of your problem but if I understand correctly, the needle seat seal fitting does not need to be overly tight to seal. Usually if you get them too tight - you cannot turn the needle and the seal can be deformed to the extent it will not seal?"

"I think you have a grasp of t

"I think you have a grasp of the problem. The hard fiber seals of which there are two back to back, wont form a seal on the face of the high speed needle fitting. They are too hard to form to the face of the fitting and seal against the needle shaft. The original seals were a soft rubber compound that didnt need much pressure to seal. Id reuse them but they were damaged. All 4 seals in the kit, 2 each for the slow and fast needle are the same. But of course since the hi speed needle seals the float bowl only that leaks fuel. Am I missing something here???"

Hard seals are not a good thin

Hard seals are not a good thing. The good old days they used graphite rope seals in the old Fords and they worked well and cost little to nothing. I bet NAPA could supply you with some. It would be small diameter that you could cut a short piece and insert - replacing those hard seals.

Back