Logo

88 OMC Cobra Prop

jbash27

"Hi I have a 88 sunray with a

"Hi I have a 88 sunray with a GM 5.0L and OMC Cobra, I have removed the aluminum 14.5X19P prop. I bought the same size prop on ebay except its stainless steel. Its not a high $$ performance style but looks more like an o.e version the number on it is 389924. My question is will it work with my outdrive? It has the same number of splines (15) but it is significantly heavier. Does the weight matter, can the shaft support it? Also when I put it on (with the spacer that was on my old one) it rubs the case. Do I need a thicker spacer? Any input would be greatly appreciated ;) I dont want to break anything, Thanks"

"You've got one of the OMC

"You've got one of the OMC stainless steel SST II props. I believe these were painted black instead of having a nice polished finish. Anyway it should work fine on your engine/drive combo, you may notice minor performance differences. Hole shot might be a touch slower but your top end might actually be higher as these are a cupped prop.
The spacer you have (thrust washer) should be the same for the stainless or aluminum unless the one you have has been changed? The PN you want is 333592 and you can probably pick one up at a local dealer or on ebay or at this site

http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=OMC0333592&ptype=&Eng ine=&Model="

"Thanks Bob I've got one o

"Thanks Bob I've got one on order. I also got another one of the OMC SST II props that is 15X17P. Whats the difference between the 14.5x19 & 15x17 I know a lower pitch gives a quicker holeshot and slower top speed, but what does the size do?"

"The size makes a difference i

"The size makes a difference in the amount of surface area that makes contact with the water, typically the bigger the better for propulsion efficiency. Also as I had mentioned the SST II is a cupped prop, you see along the trailing edge how it appears to rolled slightly? this also adds some extra ability to grip the water (less slippage), however it will drop your rpm's slightly compared to the same size uncupped. Best thing to do is read up on the net about them, there are literally whole books out there on the theory and principals of propellers. But what it comes down to is what are using the boat for and compromise. Ideally you want the prop to allow the engine to reach the recommended RPM range at WOT (yours would be 4200-4600)."

"Hello Jake,
I have a 15x17 o

"Hello Jake,
I have a 15x17 on my OMC 4.3 currently.
I was thinking about switching it to 14.5x19.
Have you tried both of em & possibly found out what the difference is between 2?
Thanks."

Back