Logo

Twin Crusader Battery Charging

bob_on_this

Regular Contributor
"I have a 20 year old Carver 2

"I have a 20 year old Carver 28' with twin 305 Crusaders.
The PO had changed the battery set up, and I want to go back to original. I have one (batt 1, batt 2, both) switch, with two batteries. The common stud on the switch does to both engine starters, and as such, goes to both alternators.
I have read that it is not good to charge the batteries from both alternators at the same time.
It does not matter what position the switch is in, both engines are connected together.
Will this work, is this the Carver Factory wiring, and has worked for 20 years?

Any help would be greatly appreciated."

"Bob:

Your description leav

"Bob:

Your description leaves a bit to be desired. Maybe you can give it another try?

Ideally, you want each engine/alt/starting battery to be independent with an emergency bridging method. On top of that, you'll want a 'house battery' for all your elctronics and other gear. (This may be a bank of batteries, dependent upon your needs.) The alternators can be connected to charge your house bank as well as the starting battery. (there was a recent post on this topic on the crusader board.)"

"...."I have read that it

"...."I have read that it is not good to charge the batteries from both alternators at the same time."

Do it all the time on mine, with 1 battery on the port side, and 3 on the other side.

Jeff"

"Bob,
I aslo own an older Car

"Bob,
I aslo own an older Carver. Do you have the original owners manuals/materials? They usually contain detailed diagrams of the boats electrical layout and connections. That will answer your question for sure regarding the original layout. I agree with Mark's recommendations however I don't think there is enough room below your deck to put more batteries if needed. The two is workable."

"Hey Jeff...Sometimes you seem

"Hey Jeff...Sometimes you seem a bit un-balanced...Why 1 and 3 rather than 2 and 2? Is it a space issue?
"

Back