Logo

43 TKS losing power

mark_mckee

"Hi Guys,
I have a issue tha

"Hi Guys,
I have a issue that seems heat related.
I picked up an 88 270 Searay and dropped in two new 08 4.3TKS, both engines pull from one 125,gal tank. Each engine has two water fuel seperators on them.

The Starboard engine after running for about 45 min. to an hour @ 3800 rpm suddenly will no longer run at @3800 rpm but will run fine @ 2800 rpm
for awhile, then again I will have to lower the rpm again. If I do not lower the rpm the engine will die. The engine will start with no problem and run for a while at A lower rpm around 1500 TO 1800. After the engine compartment has cooled. The following day I can go thru the whole thing again. It acts as though it might be a fuel issue.

I changed fuel filters, tighten fuel lines, and checked for air leaks, pulled out fuel pickup and inspected, blown out fuel line from pump to tank, removed fuel pump and ran outdoors( not with pressure gauge). Port engine runs great. Not sure of temp in engine compartment. Does a coil or ECM cause problems of this nature when they are failing?

Any new ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Thanks Mark"

"Mark:

The way you describe

"Mark:

The way you described the problem makes me think of carburetor icing; carb can't breathe due to narrowing of the carb throat by ice in a high moisture environment. LOL! One engine runs great while the other slowly loses power.

Is there any backfiring or engine miss if you give it more throttle when it starts to lose power? Swap coils and see what happens. Still no change then disconnect the batteries on both engines, swap ECMs and run it again."

"Heat could be effecting the i

"Heat could be effecting the ignition system, which is one possible cause. You can test the spark.

After the motor heats up and your down to the 1800rpms of power, run a spark tester to the coil and set the tester to the voltage spec for that coil. If it's not putting out the proper voltage, the spark won't reach across contacts on the tester."

"Guy, I must have missed the c

"Guy, I must have missed the card heat on the check list and applied the fuel mixture. LOL

There was no back firing or miss. I installed a new coil. I ran for nearly an hour and half last night without any issuse.

Going to Block Island Saturday, couple hour run from CT. which should be a better test.

Thanks Guy and Dave for your support.

Mark"

Back