Logo

Over heat problem

How do you know its getting ho

How do you know its getting hot?
Could a bad heat sensor be telling the power pack to drop cylinders ( buck)
PS Id get hot after a buck too!

Your not supposed to be able t

Your not supposed to be able to touch them!
Go drive your car for ten miles and see if you can touch that engine!
Same thing!
180 degrees is dam hot.
The hot water heater in your house feels hot and thats only 140 degrees!

"You can not compare the temp

"You can not compare the temp of a car engine and an outboard.
You should be able to touch the heads of the outboard, if not too heat sensitive. Normally they should be 'barely to touch'.
Best option is to use a heat-gun.
This will give an accurate reading and even the reading when the switches goes off.
It may even be used to see if it is a temp difference on top and bottom of the block indicating a capacity and circulation problem."

An out board thermostat rating

An out board thermostat rating is what?
A cool 140?
See what I mean?
You cant touch 140 for very long let alone 180!
I dont know what the temp rating of the thermostat for his engine is but I will guess its close to 180
I do have and use a heat gun myself and that is exactly what should be used on Gords engine which was my point in the first place!

"i need to check with IR like

"i need to check with IR like mort says,but i want to know about the buck,i know it gets hot when alarm goes off."

""if i gas on it and it bu

""if i gas on it and it bucks,it will get hot,and if it dont buck it wont get hot,almost seems electric,"

Not quite sure what you mean by buck, but if it is hesitation on acceleration that could mean a lean mixture. A piece of crap restricting one or more main jets, a weak fuel pump, etc. A lean mixture could definitely result in over heating and the nature of its cause could explain its intermittency."

"no not hesitation a kick,jerk

"no not hesitation a kick,jerk,thought my prop was slipping so changed prop,carbs fine link an sync fine,im thinking tony may have something,with P/P"

Back