Logo

Help with building a marine diesel engine

burkstar

Contributing Member
"Please excuse me for being a

"Please excuse me for being a complete dunce.
I currently have a mercruiser petrol in my boat and want to go diesel for all the obvious reasons.
The engine in my boat is a 470 3.7L (170 bhp). I have a Bowman exhaust manifold FM 240 combined heat exchange and am now in the market for an engine to suit which is the ford FSD 425T, 2.5L Turbo diesel. That would give 130/140bhp and the additional (diesel) torque should turn my current MR Alpha 1 outdrive. BUT, what would happen if i only fitted a no turbo FSD 425 lump in it? it would only give me a maximum 80 bhp. Would it still generate enough power for my current outdrive or not. Im really not worried about going from 0 =25 knot in the blink of an eye just get there maybe inside 2 minutes. The reason I ask is the whole turbo thing scares the hell out of me and the additional parts and costs required leave me in a cold sweat. charge air cooler etc and would I need a different turbo than the one on the standard engine? Please help as any advise and info would help me in my plite. Regards Burkstar (Dunce)."

Since my ast post I have been

Since my ast post I have been told that the correct Turbo charger to fit would be the KKK water cooler charger from a Ford Ranger. If this is the case would I still need the charge cooler or would the water cooled Turbo do the job ???

Back