Logo

Engine choice

beginner

"Hi everybody new to this game

"Hi everybody new to this game so please forgive any blunders. Am considering for the first time buying a Motor Cruiser. The one in mind is a C-Kip 38ft 6 berth sea going craft. Two identical boats except for the engines. One has 2 120 hp Lehman diesel basic engines the other has 2 80 hp engines.I believe the standard engine is the 120. Could you please let me have your comments as regards economy, speeds cruise and maximum, reliability and longevity. Thanks Fred"

"G, Day Fred,
I am

"G, Day Fred,
I am not familiar with your type of vessel, but i do know the ford range well.The 120hp are generally based on the 2715e engine; these are renown for their reliabillity,smoothness & economy, expect to use around 10ltrs ph cruising @ 1800 rpm.
The 4cyl units would be 1712e 80hp engines basically the same as the 6cyl not quite as smooth, some units are fitted with a heavier flywheel this helps heaps;most are fitted with simm's fuel pumps, check cambox oil condition &level this quite often gets forgotten can be costly;expect to use around 8ltrs ph @18oo rpm.
Ihave seen both engines do in excess of 15,000 hr with good maintiance program in place.Like most agri base engines rebuild kits well priced.
Hope this helps,
Shakey."

Back