Logo

Checking Ujoints

rickt

Is there a way to check u-join

Is there a way to check u-joint wear without doing a visual inspection? I will do a tear down in the spring....but I thought I would ask.....I am noticing some vibration when I am running slow speeds at full turning....ie picking up a wake boarder or tuber. Also if I slightly rev the engine at warm-up in neutral

Thanks
Rick

"I really don't think you

"I really don't think you can check them with any certanty with out removing the out drive. When mine did that vibration at full turn I figured it was the u-joints. I replaced them and it still made the same noise/vibe. I came to find out that the gimbal bearing that was installed (by me) did not have enough shimming around the out side of the cage and shook up/down/right/left and full turn right or left. I re-shimmed and it is nice and quiet now. It still could very likely be the u-joints, but I would also check the gimbal bearing.

Eric"

I changed mine due to symptom

I changed mine due to symptom even though I could not feel any play in them. Replacing them took care of my problem which sounds exactly like the problem you have descibed.

Back