Logo

Confusion on engine removal

blockson98

"I have a 1982 228 that i am p

"I have a 1982 228 that i am pulling the engine on. I have a Clymer shop manual that doesn't say anything about having to remove the outdrive to remove the engine, but i did a search on this discussion board and a couple of posts said you had to? Any ideas?"

"Since the input shaft to the

"Since the input shaft to the outdrive is inserted into the engine coupler, it behooves you to remove the drive first. Otherwise you cannot lift the engine straight up. Outdrive removal is a very simple procedure. Six nuts, plus the tilt rams and it can be pulled right off."

"I understand what you are say

"I understand what you are saying, but Clymer says to remove the mount bolts and lift engine just enough to take pressure off of mounts and slide the engine forward.I have had my outdrive off more than once so i know how easy it is, just no reason to create more work that needed!"

"If you have enough clearance

"If you have enough clearance in your engine compartment to do that, then have at it. I suspect you'll need to remove the drive to re-install the engine anyway. Maybe not if you can slide the engine back onto the driveshaft, but most everyone on this board recommends doing an engine alignment anytime the engine or drive is removed. Good luck."

"You have to remove the outdri

"You have to remove the outdrive. If you do not then you will have no idea if it is aligned to the gimbal bearing after reinstallation.

The only way to check it is with the outdrive removed.......

NO SHORT CUTS!!! just becuase the "clymer" does not say so, it may assume you know to remove it or allready have."

Back