Logo

Fuel question

arild_johannessen

Contributing Member
"Will the engine run better wi

"Will the engine run better with 98 oct.fuel,
or can this do any damage to the engine.
Have got a good offer fore a amount of 98 fuel."

"Don't have any idea what

"Don't have any idea what engine you're speaking of, but the majority of them run fine on 87 octane."

"Be aware that the USA, Canada

"Be aware that the USA, Canada and a few other countries use a different scale of Octane ratings to those used in European and many other countries.

the Uk and as far as i know all other European countries use the "Research Octane number" (RON)the USA use an average of what is known as the Motor Octane number (MON) and the RON. It is known as the Anti Knock Index AKI or Road Octane number (RdON)

Fuel that is classed as 87 Octane in the USA would be classed as 91-92 on the RON scale.

98 RON would be classed as 93-94 in the USA.

Just an aside because I'm sure folks in the UK and other countries that use the RON system must be puzzled by the recommendations from the USA to use 87 or 89 octane!"

"My engine is a evinrude 115 V

"My engine is a evinrude 115 V4 92 mod.
I live in europe(95 octane is the most usual,but 98 is also to be bought)
Can I use this fuel?"

Between 95 and 98 octane fuel

Between 95 and 98 octane fuel you wont notice anything with the way your engine runs.
If the 98 octane is pure (not blended with ethanol) yes use it if you can buy it cheaper than 95.

The 98 in Norway to my knowled

The 98 in Norway to my knowledge has a lead replacement additive that gums up the carbs.At the slightest trace of water you will be in trouble.
(From own experience when running my marina with gas station back in Tunsberg).

Back