Logo

Merc 99 water flow

fkwins

I just purchased this motor be

I just purchased this motor believe it to be a 1994. The impeller was replaced 2 years ago and the motor never used I put the motor in a trash can and started it. It appears to run fine but the water only comes out the pee hole at high idle is this normal or has the impeller dry rotted and needs to be replaced.

"Frank, it could have dry rott

"Frank, it could have dry rotted or you could have a bad cover seal on the water pump, a bad guide tube (that connects to the water tube) or a bad water tube seal at the powerhead base - all which would cause a loss of pressure.

OR, you could have some crud/cooties in the water channels or jackets or a bit of a blockage at the pick-up or even some crud in the the tell-tale tube itself.

A 9.9 Merc is an awesome little motor (own two of them) and it would be a shame to toast it for the sake of a water pump kit.

Even though it was changed before it was layed up, I would change it again - with a full kit, not just an impeller, and change the lower unit oil as well - just good practice.

You should get water flowing from the tell-tale withing a few seconds (maybe 5 or so) of starting the motor, and it should be good and strong at slow idle - the fact that you have to give it little more rpms to see it kinda indicates it's leaking from somewhere..."

Back