Logo

What a day small problems arise

boatbrain

"out for the day all is good .

"out for the day all is good ...untill we get to the fishing spot and drop ancr..turn off the motor and guess what ? the motor stayed running cool ehh....ok so i figure the key switch shorted. anyways i pop the top motor cover hit the interupt switch to shut it down....
proceed to get under the dash pop off the key switch disconnect all the wires ,restart the motor then spred all the wires motor stays running ....ohh no ...i also noticed that the power was staying on ,when i noticed the fuel pump still running ....still with me ?ok did i metion i am out in the golf of mexico 14 miles out 5 foot rolling water LOL
ok i break out a test light, i unplug big 7 wire plug under the dash i have power going to the purple wire with everything off ....meanwhile i connect the key switch up again i ruled this out as the problem...so i clip the purple wire turn on the key all assy. come on, turn it off all goes off ....Ok still have a purple wire clipped and hanging .
ok i try to start motor all is good 1t starts !
shut it down ,,,crap dont shut off Ok did a quick fix (i keep spare parts with me under the seats) had to do a quick fix at this time : drilled a hole in the dash ,installed a toggle switch (heavy duty)connected 2 wires to that,2 pcs of 15' wire from the dash to thw shifter interupt switch I now have to shut it down with the key and the toggle ...
OK we are all fixed for now ...Ohh yeah 1st time in my life being under the dash in rolling waves
I GOT SEASICK Now i am barfing over the side ...cought 4black tip sharkks 5 sail cats and a king macral....OK thats the whole story

Now anyone know where my short is and why it shorted ?and how to track this down and fix ?

Ohh yeah 1993 18' Thompson calae 1800 3.0 A1 G2
regular carb, points and plugs"

"1. Did you have anything else

"1. Did you have anything else turned on at the dash??

If so what and check wiring to see if it is crossed or shorted to purple wire.

2. Should have disconnected big plug at motor, this disconnects all dash wiring from engine. This would have isolated the power to dash.

3. Disconnect the big plug at the engine, if power is still going to the dash purple wire? (now that you have the boat home), also do a test light to each pin on the motor side of the disconnected connector. You will have 12 volts on at least one pin/socket, (large pin/socket +12 volts to dash) let us know if power is on any other pins/sockets.

4. With large engine connector disconnected check for voltages (test light) on any and all dash connections. If you find any, trace from where and also check purple to see if it is hot. If it is with Big connector at engine disconnected then that is you source of the 12 volts to purple when key is off.

If NO voltage when big engine connector disconnected but YES when it is the the source is at the engine.

Maybe the ALT,

I do not believe the starter solenoid has a crank wire from it to the coil?? I believe it is done at the key switch. If there is a purple/yellow or purple/white comming of the starter solenoid to the coil, then the source could be the solenoid.

That is all I can think of for now.

Maybe others will have some other ideas.

Let us know what you find if anything."

Back