Logo

Dumb question

dcso

Contributing Member
"i have a merc 5.7 260 that i

"i have a merc 5.7 260 that i am selling, guy is coming next week week. How do i set up the ignition so i can run it for him. it has electronic ig. the motor came out of a 86 searay but due to the #'s on the engine its a 95 def a repower . it has great compression i would like to have it running in the drive hen he gets here
I'm looking for a short cut set up as the engine is out of the boat any suggestions?
thanks
ted"

Is it on a stand? Connect the

Is it on a stand? Connect the red battery cable to the starter battery post and the ground cable to the ground stud on the rear of the block but leave it unconnected at the battery. From the battery positive post connect a 16 ga. jumper wire to the coil + terminal.

For a water source connect a garden hose to the water inlet hose to the thermostat. Run it on high and seal the connection so the water doesn't leak out the hose.

For a fuel source connect a six gal. boat fuel tank to the fuel line and squeeze the primer bulb to fill the carb.

To start the engine connect a heavy duty push button in series between the + battery terminal to the slave solenoid's small terminal on the base w/a yellow/red wire attached. Connect the ground cable to the battery - post and turn on the water. Pump the carb throttle twice and push the button to start the engine.

Try it before the buyer shows up.

"Not that it means much,but I

"Not that it means much,but I can't say I've ever seen a "typical parts house" engine stand that will allow the flywheel to be installed when the engine is on the stand. Plus it had better be one stout stand if you plan on running the engine on it,not one where the engine can be rotated for access both top and bottom of the engine. You maybe better off finding a good crate/pallet and making some type of mounts that will hold the 4 corners of the engine.That way the engine can't fall on the floor if something should break.
Just a thought."

Back