Logo

Intermittent starting on 60hp 1993 Johnson

ghabicht

"I have a 1993 60HP Johnson th

"I have a 1993 60HP Johnson that sometimes starts fine and the next day won't start at all. It seems to be getting no spark. If I get it started, it runs very rough (on maybe 2 cylinders) until it warms up. After it's been running about 5 mins, it will run fine and start easily all day long. The next day maybe not. The powerpack was replace 2 years ago and seems to be getting power OK, although I'm not completely sure how to test it. I replaced the oil "beeper" at the end of last season and thought it was maybe a kill switch or electrical connection problem, but all of the wires seem to check out. I am getting juice everywhere on the motor, but often no spark.
Any suggestions on where else to look?
Gary"

"Have you checked the spark on

"Have you checked the spark on a no start condition? If you have spark, squirt some fuel/oil mixture in carbs and if it starts maybe the primer is defective."

Spark seems to be there someti

Spark seems to be there sometimes and not at others. I feel it has to be an electrical problem and the rough running of the engine when cold is a secondary problem..dirt or gum in carb?

"The rough running could very

"The rough running could very well be a fuel problem, maybe time to overhaul carbs. Do you have a manual for your engine? You might need one to trouble shoot the electrical system."

The rough running seems to be

The rough running seems to be a secondary problem. I need to get the motor started 1st....It started right up both Saturday and Sunday...go figure! I really should get a manual.

"Gary, you need to confirm spa

"Gary, you need to confirm spark or no spark by pulling the plugs and checking for spark with a spark tester with 7/16" gap when the motor will not start.

Just reiterating what David said, but your response using the word "seems" is not definitive."

"I just purchased a spark test

"I just purchased a spark tester and will check it out, but today it started right up again. It's frustrating not being able to reproduce the problem. I know that as soon as I put it back in the water, it won't start again. (I usually keep the boat on a lift and only took it out to check the engine)."

Spark tester told me that it i

Spark tester told me that it isn't the spark (so it seems I was wrong on that one). I will pull the carbs and clean them out next and see if that solves both problems.

Back