Logo

Trim problem b95 Evinrude 115

houk27

"Hello,
I hit something this

"Hello,
I hit something this weekend and now I have a problem. The skeg was bent a bit. That is not my problem. I can't get the tilt and trim to allow the motor to move up or down. When I hit the object the motor was trimmed up a bit so now I can't get to the manual release screw. I can press the trim switch on the cowl an I hear a click from what sounds like the relay working. The trim motor doesn't seem to be working though. Any thoughts would be appreciated."

"Hopefully that sudden hit sim

"Hopefully that sudden hit simply caused a loose connection to fail.

Trace the electric motor wires back to is connector and disconnect it. That motor is a dual polarity electric motor, meaning that voltage to it in one hookup makes it run forward, reversing that hookup makes it run backward.

Run jumpers from the battery directly to the two electric motor wires, then reverse them. If this makes the electric motor run in one direction, then the other..... then obviously the electric motor is okay, and if so the problem is elsewhere. Let us know what you find.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay store at:

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

"Joe and Others,
Okay I was a

"Joe and Others,
Okay I was able to just go out and look at it. When I remove one of the trim wires from the opposite connector I can hear the trim motor run but the motor does not lift or lower. When I first did this it moved down but now will not go up. The trim motor still turns but no movement. If I reattach those two wires it goes back to the trim motor does not run but the relays click. I replaced one of the relays with a good one and I don't believe it is the original relays. I was able to see and turn the manual release screw the three and a half turns but I am unable to lift the motor. I also tried to see if the motor will lift with the screw in the opposite position. No luck. Thanks for the help and suggestions. Tony"

"Okay here Ya go,
I went out

"Okay here Ya go,
I went out and did some more checking and looking. After finding that the tilt limit switch adjustment was not working because of the way I had some zip ties, I found some more problems. I fiddled with what I thought were all of the wires but a few. Well back to using the trim switch and the tilt limit switch I was able make the motor run with a proper sound. But it would still not move up or down. I was able to get the motor to release using the manual release screw. After lifting the motor and resetting the manual release screw I then found the motor would trim down but not up. This happened with the trim switch being pressed either up or down. I then used the remote trim on the console. This whole time I had been using trim switch on the motor. The motor moved a little bit. The trim switch on the console is kinda touchy. Well guess what I went back to the motor and it worked fine. Stupid console trim switch. After a few up and downs I was able to get the motor to trim all the way up and down using both trim switches. So there was nothing wrong in the first place besides the console trim switch that I really need to replace anyways. If you understood that you are better than I am because I still don't know what I did to fix it besides wiggle and maybe not giggle. Thanks, Tony"

"Joe,
You are the man. You ha

"Joe,
You are the man. You have helped me before and I really appreciate your help. Thanks again, Tony"

Back