Logo

Help I need someone who knows about these boats

hunnies1

"I have a 5.0 volvo penta ster

"I have a 5.0 volvo penta stern drive. I start the boat up and it runs strong for about 15-20 minutes. Then the problem starts. It acts like its not getting enough gas. I can full throttle it and it spits and sputters. BUT the weird part if I turn on the blower, touch the trim, up or down, or turn on any other buttons on the dash, it gets power...kinda like an accelerator. Its so bizzarre. I change the entire fuel system, the pump, relay, filter and even the fuel line. No change...any suggestions???"

Carbed or injection?
If injec

Carbed or injection?
If injection check the EMM for failure code: Too high voltage.

The other thing I forgot to me

The other thing I forgot to mention. I did lose the trim all together twice. I changed all the fuses under dash but need to find the trim fuse. If there is one?

"You may have a ground issue.

"You may have a ground issue. Check all ground cables for alternator, cable harness, battery etc."

"[b]Quote: " BUT the weird

"Quote: " BUT the weird part if I turn on the blower, touch the trim, up or down, or turn on any other buttons on the dash, it gets power."

Given the above, Yes...... Ditto the ground continuity issue!"

"We thought it might be that,

"We thought it might be that, but I could not find any loose wires....why would it run well for a while though, wouldn't it just start off choking out? I am a female with some boat knowledge so all your help is really appreciated
happy.gif
"

"probably not loose but dirty.

"probably not loose but dirty.

you can always try the "wiggle test", preferrable with the engine running. grab a given connection and physically tug and twist it. when the "bad" one is found the engine usually lets you know.

Pins pushed out of connectors are another common fault; the "tug" part can find those."

Back