Logo

Thermostat on 15 HP Mariner outboard

englbert

"Having removed the lower unit

"Having removed the lower unit and took apart the water pump assembly, the pump looks like new. I still do not have any water coming out the pee hole when using a garden hose with muffs. Is it normal to not see any water come out the pee hole until the thermostat opens. Where is the thermostat located. I do not have an owners manual or repair manual.
Please advise Thanks,"

You may not have a thermostat.

You may not have a thermostat. Depends on the year of your motor. Have you ran a piece of weed wacker line up the hose to make sure no dirt daubers have taken up residence in it?

"If it's a Merc/Mariner 15

"If it's a Merc/Mariner 15 horse the thermostat cover will be at the top of the waterjacket just above and slightly left of the top sparkplug - and they DID NOT have a thermostat from factory, so unless someone added one, it's not there.

If you have a Yami/Mariner, they did have a thermostat and is located under the head cover which must be removed to access it...

I have a 15 Merc/Mariner and after it starts it takes about 3 to 5 seconds before the water starts to flow from the tell-tale (which is normal)...."

"I tried putting the motor int

"I tried putting the motor into a barrel so the water level would be higher on the lower unit. When starting the motor, water came out almost immediately. Is it possible that when using a muff on garden hose over the three holes near the boat, that water also comes in through the screen on the underside of the horizontal fin of the lower unit. The only difference is that the water more represents the lake condition vs a water muff. I'd appreciate knowing if this is the case. I appreciate the feedback I got from you."

Back