Logo

Replacement water pump

dnadave

"The Sherwood pump that is mat

"The Sherwood pump that is mated to the generator on my 1960 283 V-8 has finally given up the ghost. The bearings are bad and the wear plate is worn past service. I've been told by my local yard that they have found a replacement pump for $1300.00. I'm hoping that someone here can point me to a cheaper, but equivalent, solution.

Thanks!!

Dave H"

"Always google the sherwood p

"Always google the sherwood pump number, and you will find a lot of posts. A wear plate can be machined, and most of those pumps have bushings not bearings, and are available. 1300 dollars sound like total robbery to me."

"Dave, Rick here!
We've

"Dave, Rick here!
We've exchanged a few emails before re; Volvo Penta parts.

Here's my unsolicited two cents for you:
The Sherwood is a fine pump. However, it is also a more difficult to remove the impellers from ..... (as I am sure you know)...... and as a result, many will not do so for inspection and/or for winter lay-up.
(Best to remove impellers for winter lay-up, IMO)

Question: Do you have space/room for a crankshaft mounted raw water pump?

With a Johnson style Crankshaft pump, impeller service is very easy!
Impeller access is right there at the turn of four screws!
You'll find yourself removing the impeller for winter lay-up gaining you yet another season from it!

I've changed out many of the Sherwood belt driven pumps to a crankshaft style....., so I know that it can be done successfully!

It does involve some work and hose re-routing on your part (re; suction/supply hoses, etc......,) but would make servicing so much easier for you in the future.

There are two sizes of the C/S pumps as well.
http://www.pleasureboatmarine.com/stores/images/images_775/JPI10242321.jpg"

Otherwise, I agree with Peter.... search Sherwood via p/n and see what you come up with.

."

Back