Logo

Crusader 270bs question

phoenix1

"Great thread. Have laid low

"Great thread. Have laid low reading topics since buying my 1st twin-screw last month..1988 27' Phoenix Fishbuster w/ 350 Crusaders (270xl's)w/ 675 hrs ea. Great boat so far w/ everything: Floscan, windlass, Sinrad AP, electronics galore..now to just figure out how to operate & maintain it all....

Could use some advise resolving an eng rpm sync issue. At idle, twin Floscan tachs agree @900rpm, but @cruise of 22mph, port reads 2200 & starboard @3000 as it should. I DO NOT feel the pull to to port as you'd expect w/ real 800 rpm difference, and motor noise seems equivalent. If I up the port throttle, that motor gets louder, but still don't feel the pull to starboard you'd expect either? Port does run a little hotter (150-160) vs stbd @ 140f. I've had props pulled and reconditioned, but no change. Note the upper helm station tachs (separate guages) agree w/ the lower helm Floscan @cruise. Unfortuneately, Floscan fuel meters not working properly, so can't see if diff in port vs starboard consumption (am working on that problem too). @WOT, Stbd shows 4000 & Port 3100. Starting to think port motor is really running slower, but can't confirm. Have cleaned port carb in place (Qjet) & Starboard carb appears to be newer. Any suggestions on where to start?

Also, port motor starts hard & stalls @idle when cold & damp, but runs like a champ once warm. Not sure if related."

"I would pull the spark plugs

"I would pull the spark plugs on port and inspect. You might have a cylinder or two not running well or at all. 900 at idle is high, will the port idle smoothly at 750? When was the last ignition tuneup?"

"Thanks Dave. Was planning to

"Thanks Dave. Was planning to pull & inspect plugs, wires & rotor/cap this weekend. Plug condition should tell me a lot. Don't know when last ignition tune-up completed. Just bought boat from broker with little to no service info available. I did get compression test results (done by selling dealer) showing 105-115# cold compression on all port & stbd pistons, but this wouldn't speak to ignition. I will check timing while at it. Haven't touched my timing light since rebuilding 4-cyl honda CRVCC motor in late 80's. Also, didn't realize 900 idle was fast. will play with that as well. Interestingly, the port motor starts quickly and idles great once warm. Wouldn't that in itself suggest ignition issues?"

"I vote with Dave, especially

"I vote with Dave, especially since the compression check was just done. Very possible the "hardest to get to" plug wires are not seated tightly or correctly (two swapped).

If you received the engine owners manual, its really worth the read. Lots of useful info with little BS. If not, call Crusader and see if they will send you one."

"Thanks to both. Will report

"Thanks to both. Will report back after playing weekend mechanic. Yes, have the full Crusader service manual and have just started to review. Troubleshooting section is especially good, but figured the experience here could help minmiize the "to check" list.

The boat came with all the manuals plus spare parts for almost everything-alternators, starters, fuel pumps, coils, ign wires, belts, hoses, you name it plus tools & even spare props to boot. That in itself gave me much confidence previous owner was intent on taking care of her."

"One other area to investigate

"One other area to investigate (happened to me) is the throw out counterweights "sticking" and not advancing properly (assuming an OEM distributor). My distributor needed some serious cleaning from years of salt water corrosion, rust, etc."

"Updating everyone on this fol

"Updating everyone on this following a little weekend work. Didn't have time to resolve fully, but do believe rpm issue is guage related..good news I think. After double checking, the upper and lower helm tachs do agree on rpm reading, and both motors are idling @750-800, not 900 as I earlier reported.

If I understand correctly, tach sender comes off alternators. The port motor has new alternator (installed by marina I purchased boat from), and this appears different model vs starboard. I meant to get make/model info from both alts, but ran out of time. I suspect port unit has diff pole configuration. My Floscan dual tach gauge has only 1 set of calibration switches (course and fine). Will do more troubleshooting next time on boat - unfortuneatley not for 2 weeks.

I did inspect port ignition system (distributor, cap, points, wires, most plugs, etc and everything appears in good condition. Distributor in particular was clean w/ no visible corrosion. Couldn't pull/check all the plugs not having right tools to access. Man are they hard to get to under the risers!!

I did take boat out on Sunday and both motors sounded great at all speeds, and port started easily and ran great right from get-go. For now, I will live w/ rpm discrepancy until I can do the alternator updgrade discussed in other thread.

Interestingly, got my Floscan fuel economy gauge working (had totalizer reset swtich in wrong position) and port motor is showing lower gph consumption @cruise (just like tachs & similar % difference). Have found the Floscan manual on web and will do all the suggested troubleshooting as soon as time allows. The Stbd side shows ~8gph consumption @cruise & port ~4-5gph. Would like to beleive those readings, but suspect they are both wrong."

Back