Logo

Merc 650

pome

"iv a merc 650 3 cyl built in

"iv a merc 650 3 cyl built in oz, early 80,s "I think".....problem i have is that its really hard to start each time, I always have to resort to lots of easy start, and i know thats not good!......the engine has good compression and plenty of spark, once it starts its fine,its just getting it to start thats the problem.......all the rest is fine plenty of batt power,starter mtrs fine and the elec choke is all good..
once you have it running and its hot you can switch off and it will start again no probs, its just when its cold its a bugger!!
also would just like to check the fuel oil ratio 50:1?
Iv always used good clean fuel and quaily oil.
I have just put a new fuel filter on,,, but no luck its still a hard starter.........
ive had suggestions.......either lean fuel or ignition timing!
can anyone help
kind regards
tony"

"Anthony, the 650's stoppe

"Anthony, the 650's stopped production after the 1976 model year (so it's at least that old).

The 76 model had the Thunderbolt 4 ignition (so switchbox and individual coils), 1975 and earlier had a distributor (like a car).

Since your problem really sounds like just a cold start it could simply be due to the poor choke these things had - choke the crap out of it before starting cold - stay away from the starting fluid (no oil in it and this is a 2 stroke) - if you need "starter fluid" make your own 50:1 mix (yes correct mix) in a spray bottle that you can squirt in the carbs.

The choke on these is just a "gravity feed" type of set up - when you engage the choke, a valve is opened by a solenoid and fuel kinda "leaks" down to the carbs - don't be afraid to hold it open for 10 full seconds (alternately, the solenoid may be shot or the electrical connections to it have failed).

If your fuel was too lean or your timing was off, you would have issues at times "other than" a cold start...."

"hi graham
thanks for the inf

"hi graham
thanks for the info.......It worked a treat!
Ill get myself a manual and get around to doing apermanant fix, im quite mechanicaly minded so i should be okay.....the real skill in this is to pin point the prob, so thanks again!
yes it is an early model with a car like distributor, are these good engines in general?
also can you help it has stopped pumping water althought a new water pump was fitted last year
and last it has a small oil leak just below the prob, its engine oil.....is this normal, iv been told it can!
thanks again"

"The distributor ignitions wor

"The distributor ignitions worked well enough, it's just tough to get some parts for them now. The rotor is on a (stem), all one piece and they are quite rare - so if you ever "fiddle" with it, be careful.

If your waterpump service simply involved changing the impeller, you could have a bad cover seal, guide tube, base seal etc. It's always worth throwing in a whole kit every second impeller change because the other parts wear out as well - other causes could be a hole in the water tube (more prevalent on motor ran in salt water) or even a water tube seal at the base of the powerhead - so you have to drop the lower unit first and see what's up.

And lastly, that engine oil dripping from the prop area is quite normal. Just cooties that make their way down the exhaust housing, exiting where they can - so usually a combination of burnt/unburnt oil and gas - totally normal on a 2 stroke..."

"can anyone help?
I have jus

"can anyone help?
I have just fitted a merc70 and would like to know its year its serial num is 6104991,
also the cable settings, does anyone know how to set them as the boat runs fast at idle.
thanks
tony"

Back