Logo

Installing a new transom housing and drive

ejbreeze

Regular Contributor
"It has been seven months sinc

"It has been seven months since I stripped down my 1984 26' Sleekcraft Ambassador. During this time the boat has been undergoing extensive fiberglass and gel work. Here is how the boat looked before the tear down.

291885.jpg

291886.jpg

The boat was then sanded down and flipped over to inspect and sand the bottom.

291887.jpg

On one of the strakes we found that the glass was broken up for about 8 feet. New glass was added inside and outside.

291888.jpg

291889.jpg

Stringers re-glassed.

291890.jpg

Cut the hole for the new hatch.

291891.jpg

Filled the side windows.

291892.jpg

The dash always looked unbalanced to me and not organized.

291893.jpg

So I cut it straight across and built a box behind it to hide the gauges.

291894.jpg

Continued......"

"Extended the bed area and pla

"Extended the bed area and placed an overhead bulkhead to eliminate cracking on the deck. Pads were place above each bulkhead instead of using the plywood edge for support.

291913.jpg

Built cabinets and a sink area for the inside area.

291914.jpg

Removed the rubrail and capped the to pieces.

291915.jpg

Prepped the boat and got it ready for the gel.

291916.jpg

Sprayed a blend of reds followed by a clear coat. The clear coat gave the color a much richer look.

291917.jpg

291918.jpg

Color sand...color sand..and more sanding.

291919.jpg

291920.jpg

Getting close.

291921.jpg

291922.jpg

291923.jpg

And the engine compartment and transom.

291924.jpg

Sell the old 350 and alpha drive and purchase a new 502 short block and bravo drive. Build the new engine. And refurbish the trailer.

291925.jpg

291926.jpg

Continue..."

"The boats mostly done and I a

"The boats mostly done and I am off to the upholsters for a new interior. This will give the gel some time to cure and when it returns a final polishing will be done.

291934.jpg

291935.jpg

So while the boat is at the upholsters I would like to get ready to install the transom housing. I never have done this and would like to know what I need before hand to correctly do this job. The old alpha hole has been modified to except the new bravo drive. I have a new drive and transom assy.from merc sitting on a palette shrink wrapped. I haven't even opened it yet. Now where do I go from here? Thanks."

Gorgeous! Take the boat and t

Gorgeous! Take the boat and trailer asap and get it appraised and insured for the new value; it's a new boat. You don't want book value; use the appraised or stated value whichever is higher.

Thanks Guy. Good advice. Mar

Thanks Guy. Good advice. Mark am I correct that no sealant is used anywhere when mounting the transom housing? The gasket on the housing will do all the sealing? Thanks.

"EJ:

I haven't done one

"EJ:

I haven't done one in over ten years....and haven't read that manual since.

I remember using tube of urethane sealant around the shop for installs (thru transome bolts on outboards, for sure) but can't say for the I/O's. If it does say in the install manual, I'm sure Kghost or BTDoctur will answer if asked."

I have never used or seen any

I have never used or seen any sealant used when installing a transom assembly halfs.

The large oring seal works very well.

I do however use some good clear or white silicone on all the bolt holes. Just enough to assist in sealing the holes.
If you have bolts with zink heads just make sure they are connected to a good ground on the inside of the boat. If not do not worry about it.

I doubt you will be leaving it moored for very long.......I know I wouldn't!!

Just be paitent when installing the oring half of the transom assembly as the oring can move and get pinched. If you have trouble or think you may have issues use some silcone (small bead) and install the oring ahead of time and let it cure just as a way of keeping the oring in place.

"I'm in the process of ins

"I'm in the process of installing Bravo transom plates. The gaskets tend to leak after a couple of years. Use Sikaflex Marine (black) on both sides of the gasket, and on the bottom carriage bolts to get a good seal. It's a good idea to replace those bottom Merc alloy bolts with SS316. Also the manual says to pull the bolts and nuts up to 25 ft/lbs but 30-35 ft/lbs is a better number as the transom will crush down in time creating leaks.

My boat is a 28 footer and lives in salt water all year, so the extra precautions above may not be so necessary for a trailer boat !!

If your transom plates are still in the carton, don't take anything off the external plate as it is all set up, even the gear change cable is pre adjusted at the factory. Just feed all the stuff into the hull and hook it all up, a simple job."

"BTW,,, get yourself an engine

"BTW,,, get yourself an engine alignment tool, you'll need it to adjust the front engine mounts.

Nice job !!!"

I broke out the transom housin

I broke out the transom housing today and on the gimbal the o-ring seams to be permanently affixed. This is a new outdrive so has this changed from the o-ring style. It really looks like rubber gasket material. Chris did you only replace the bottom bolts? Why not all of them? Thanks guys!

"The bottom bolts are the only

"The bottom bolts are the only ones which go right thru the transom. ie from the outside in the water thru to the inside of the boat. The 2 I replaced had got salt water into the holes and the middle 2" or so of the bolts had completely corroded away. There are different styles of those bottom bolts, some have hex heads and others like mine are carriage bolts ie the domed head with a square below the head.

The "O-ring is a "D" section and mine had leaked. So to make sure it doesn't happen again, I'm using the sealant. It is impossible to get to the bottom 4 bolts once the motor goes in and I don't want to have to lift that big bugger again. That's why I suggested torquing to 30-35 ft/lbs.

The top 6 studs shouldn't see any water as they screw into the transome plate into blind holes. I'm putting some sealant around them where they go thru the transom to stop the water getting into the transom timber.

Make sure you install the ss earthing wires !!! As per the manual."

"EJ! very nice! most mens drea

"EJ! very nice! most mens dreams on those photos you posted--- getting to do it exactly like you want it! even down to the big block! brings back memories of my 82 sleekcraft 19 ft. tunnel hull with a dominator jet drive, how about a u tube video link for a run after you get the bugs out! thanks for sharing!"

Thanks Reggie. That Sleekcraf

Thanks Reggie. That Sleekcraft tunnel hull was a great boat and very popular. I looking forward as I get near the end to start bolting things back on. I need to get her out of the upholstery phase first.

Is there a rubber boot availab

Is there a rubber boot available that will go over the steering arm on the transom bracket?

Back