Logo

Alarm on 496 mag Mercruiser

hellydude

Hi
A intermittent beep alarm

Hi
A intermittent beep alarm appeer from time to time. All oil was check ok. The temperature and the oil pressure is ok. I've read it maybe with the pressure in the sea water pump. The boat is a 2006 chapparral.
Does somebody have information on that ?
Thank you

"Denis, I've had 'fals

"Denis, I've had 'false' alarms on my 2003 496MAG due to failing sensors. Meaning nothing was really wrong, just the sensor was failing. This causes the motor to run 1200rpm or lower if underway. The ones that gave me the most problems were on the exaust manifolds. A simple wire adjustment on the sensor or replacement of the sensor fixed these."

"Hey guys. Searching for help

"Hey guys. Searching for help on my 2007 Monterey with the 496 Mag. Going down the river, the alarm goes off, bring off plane kind of quickly and engine dies. Will not start without giving throttle in neutral. All vitals seem good on the smartcraft, so I continue on. 2 beeps every 60 seconds. All vitals are good. Starting cold, it can't find a steady rpm until warmed up, then I can idle back and shift around just fine. Still will not start unless I give it throttle in neutral. A mechanic has scanned this thing for hours while on the phone with Mercruiser. Computer shows no faults. Mercruiser told my mechanic to change AIC (air idle control valve), (no change), change MAP sensor (no change). All pin and other connections have checked out ok. Now Mercruiser is sending an ECM for $1,400+ hoping this will work. Engine runs great all the way around otherwise, with no guardian mode whatsoever. Mercruiser parts dept. says ECM now shows no longer available with one more production run to be completed on 9/4/09. This is an '07 with warranty that ran out in January. I called customer service at Mercruiser and they told me I was out of luck. Go figure. Any suggestions?"

Back