Logo

Fuel line pump to carb

txgalzdah

Regular Contributor
"I decided not to go electric

"I decided not to go electric on the fuel pump. Cost was a factor and I could not get anyone to tell me for a fact whether or not the unit I wanted had dual or single diaphram. My OEM replacment with dual diaphram will be here Monday.
After reading several posts on the subject I understand the line from pump to carb is metal. What kind of metal, steel, copper, brass, aluminum? Some bending will be involved so workable is better. The big question is what will pass inspection witht he coasties? I couldnt seem to find that info in the Regs. Only thing that stuck in my head is the ends are to be barbed. I have never seen barbed fuel line.
I need to stay off the internet when I am tired.
Regards,
TxGalz Dah
OOPS! 1966 120hp GM 153 I4, mechanical fuel pump, rocherster 2gc."

"If you have a old set up try

"If you have a old set up try to reproduce the fittings from a auto parts store.

The line is STEEL.

You could if available order from merc or find a old boat somewhere and get the fuel line from it.

Also try online line this place, call em and have them make one for you.

http://www.inlinetube.com/"

"The factory lines usually use

"The factory lines usually use 3/8" inverted Flare fittings. They are the most durable.

You can also use A-1 hose but you need to be careful in its routing and clamping.

I've haven't found a coastie yet (in 30 years), on the water,that was fluent on "approved" fuel installations. The real issue is if there is an incident and the insurance inspectors show up. History shows they will approach it as a "modified from stock" configuration.......usually dumping responsibility in your lap, from their back...another good reason to use the steel line"

"Kghost,
Thanks for the

"Kghost,
Thanks for the reply. The big question was what material to use. We have already completed our mock up and are ready to move forward. Now with the information you have provided we can go buy our material.
Our short term task is to install the motor and start her up Labor day weekend. It is going to be an exciting 2 weeks.
Thanks again,
TxGalzDah"

"Thanks makomark. Understood

"Thanks makomark. Understood and noted. I have seen what havoc gasoline can cause. Our system will be tight, it will be right. Thanks again.
proud.gif
"

"you could try one of these, t

"you could try one of these, too - not cheap but very easy to install:

291806.jpg
flexhose

I was thinking the same thing

I was thinking the same thing as bt doctor. You can get the line and the bending tool at NAPA for cheap. If you go steel you will want to paint the ourside of it. If you are in a salt environment the line will start to rust almost immediately. My OEM fule line is painted Mercruiser Black. I put new brake lines on the trailer this year and already have some rust spots but they're not painted.

"Its best to give that steel f

"Its best to give that steel fuel line a "good" coat of fuel proof Black paint so it wont rust and looks like the OEM. Im gonna do it to mine this wknd, I have a mercruiser 260."

"Hey Yall,
Thanks for al

"Hey Yall,
Thanks for all the input. I checked with the auto store folks and they came up with nada. I went to the hardware store and the guy I asked for help, well, turns out he owns a Merc 165. Took me right to some steel tubing and a fitting that will hold a flare and !!! the other end fits perfect into my Rochester. Paint, definitly primed and painted.
We installed the motor into the boat today. One of the longest days I have had in recent memory. It only took three times to get it installed correctly. Two weeks to Labor day and initial startup.
Thanks again for the ideas.
TxGalz Dah"

"Do what we do with our race b

"Do what we do with our race boats,use a stainless braided hose,its expensive but it will last forever and you can route it where ever and however you need to!!"

I can't say. The fitting

I can't say. The fitting I have is a two piece setup. Lets say a male and female piece. The female goes on the fuel line then you flare the end. Inside both pieces the seat is shaped like a flare. When the coupling is tightened it makes a sandwich out of the flared end of the fuel line. It is for all intents compressed with in the coupling.
Are we good here?

"If you have to flare the tube

"If you have to flare the tube, it should be OK.

The compression fittings do NOT require a flaring operation on the tube - they are not approved for fuel systems on boats."

"Great. I can put 'er in

"Great. I can put 'er in gear and move forward with the rest of the connections in preparation for startup.
I got a happy sort of tired comin on.
proud.gif
Lately I have been smiling so hard my face hurts. Feels good."

I think you're onto to som

I think you're onto to something here. If you buy it from the hardware store and turn around and put "Marine" on it somewhere you can charge 5 times what you paid for it.

Kudos to the hardware guy.

Back