Logo

1987 99 runs only on fast wont idle

camaro81

hey i can get this motor runni

hey i can get this motor running but it wont idle well not anymore. I was working on it for my neighbour. It had been sitting for a year or two I pulled the carb and rebuilt it and changed the plugs second pull fired right up. I set the needle jet and the idle and it ran perfect. idled and everything. As we were running it i heard a squeaking noise from under the flywheel so I pulled the flywheel and stupid me i greased up the shaft after finding nothing wrong inside. Also sanded the magnetio and the underneeth of the flywheel. then put it back together. then my squeeking went away and the engine would only run in neutral or in gear at top speeds and lower speeds but won't just idle. Someone was telling me that the grease I put in got on the bearing or plastic ring inside under the flywheel and this will effect my timing. So pulled it off and tried to clean it all of the best i could. put it back together and still the same. I'm almost thinking maybe the round part that comes off the carb that hits the cam plate is to worn. but it idled earlier in the day so this can't be. I'm thinking its gotta be something under the flywheel that I moved out of adjustment or maybe the bearing or retainer ring (what ever it is called it to loose and allowing the timing to move when it's not suppose to. ANY HELP??????

Back