Logo

b92 Yam 15 lost high speed but full rev range remains prop prob Help

alpine69

"Hi, I have recently purchased

"Hi, I have recently purchased a 1992 15 Yamaha 2-stroke from a mechanic, he had done alot of maintenance work on it (not rebuilt tho) yet it starts with half a pull everytime, and looks new inside and out. I have used it several times but recently after driving for 15 mins on the weekend it would not speed up enough to plane the boat even though the motor revs up fine, it did however leave me about bottom 1/3 speed so i could return home. My SELOC manual says possible prop hub, but it appears ok...though the prop is kinda pitted and appears original.or bottom end somewhere? I have a fair bit of skill in replacing parts on outboards if i can isolate the problem. Any help would be appreciated! -Brandon}"

"you have a spun prop, the rub

"you have a spun prop, the rubber between the inner hub and the outer hub(with the blades on it) has failed and is slipping(like a clutch) get a new prop and keep that one for a spare, if it will pull at all, it'll work in an emergency."

"Thanks Robert!, that confirms

"Thanks Robert!, that confirms what the manual suggested too, I returned the motor to the guy i purchased it from on monday, as he gave me a months warranty, I suggested to check out the prop hub, so i'll let him fix the hub or replace the prop and hopefully have the motor back before the weekend. B"

Back