Logo

Evinrude 28 HP 1993

hardcase

"<font face=""arial,helvet

"<font face=""arial,helvetica""><font size=""-1"">Starter engages 1st 2 cranks. Engine sometimes starts. Afterward starter will hit bottom of flywheel and will not engage. Installed new selonoid, starter, and battery. Need suggestions!</font></font>"

"Is it really hitting the flyw

"Is it really hitting the flywheel or is it coming up to that height?

Starter loose? is it turning over slow?

Is this happening with a new starter and solenoid or just before.

Weak and/or dirty battery connections will cause issues, as can battery wires that are too small"

"<font face=""arial,helvetica""><font size=""-1"">kaion: Yes it does hit the bottom of fly wheel and drops down into its neutral position. Starter is not loose and has plenty of speed. It is happening with new starter and selonoid. Old starter was bad. Spun in its' neutral position. Hard to turn by hand when removed. Battery connections are clean and the cables heavy. Could the flywheel and the starter be out of alignment?</font></font>"

"<font face=""arial,helvetica""><font size=""-1"">Brian and cliff: This is a strange occurance. I got the starter to engage the fly wheel and the engine turned over but it was too slow. The battery was too low. I put it on my trickel charger and it was very low. This batery is a Sears Die Hard 525 amps. I took it back to Sears and they said it was a good battery. I will try it again when I'am sure it is charged. Maybe there is not a guick thrust to send the gear all the way up to engage the fly wheel. I checked the wires to see if they were hot. Were cool. What are you thinking?</font></font>"

it definitely sounds like a po

it definitely sounds like a power issue and if the starter and battery are new (in theory) they should be providing enough umph. start requires a lot of snap to engage the bendix securely or it can miss like you are describing. Also the battery can have a dead cell and test good ( correct volts but not enough current ) if charging it does not help try jump starting with your tk battery

Is the Starter drive spiral di

Is the Starter drive spiral dirty and gummy? That can cause the engaging gear to hang up and not work properly and travel up to engage the ring gear. just a thought.

"<font face=""arial,helvetica""><sub>Brian,Cliff,Piperjack:I charged the battery and had the same results. I removed the new starter and replaced it with the old one.Old one was in the machine shop for repair.It was cleaned and lubricated. When I turned the key the engaging gear flew into the flywheel and the engine came to life on the second try. It works every time now. One thing I noticed, the new starter engaging gear was closer to the ring gear then the old one. I checked both gears and they look identical. Thanks so much for your help!</sub></font>"

"The load test that Sears,Pep

"The load test that Sears,Pep Boys, and other automotive type stores use to check a battery is pure BS. That test does not detect a bad cell.

You must use a Hydrometer to check the readings of each individual cell.

I've had those stores do their test, tell me that the battery is okay, but when I insist that they do a hydrometer test, and they do...... they are amazed that a dead or failing battery cell shows up.

They then tell me that their expensive equipment load test is the state of the art test..... yea, right! A $2.00 hydrometer says different.

Glad you found the cure. Sounds like that new starter needed a fine shimming if the bendix gear was too close (it happens)."

Back