Logo

Crusader 82 Engine

rlw

"Hi,
Thinking about a 2000 S

"Hi,
Thinking about a 2000 Silverton 42 with crusader 8.2 liter engines. Starboard engine #5 cylinder compresion is only 104 psi which is about 72% of #8 which is 145 PSI. Motors only have 150 hours. Some say take it out and run it and it will fix itself. I say I doubt it and the engine needs a valve job. Any thoughts?"

"You're right about it not

"You're right about it not fixing itself.

Even 8.2's are 'small' for a 42' vessel...I'd think they'd be worn out very early in life, unless you kept it off plane.

The 104 is within 70% of the peak, so it is 'acceptable' per GM's recommendation."

"Richard,

It this a sedan b

"Richard,

It this a sedan bridge or aft-cabin? My best friend has a 2002 Silverton 392 with the 8.1 HO Horizons. Boat runs great (albeit burns some gas)."

"Hi Greg,
This is sedan bridg

"Hi Greg,
This is sedan bridge that shows like new. How many hours does your friend have on motors, crusing rpm's snd speed?"

My friend's Silverton has

My friend's Silverton has the 425 Hp engines with 283 hours on them. He usually cruises at about 16-17 knots and 3600-3800 rpms. Like I said the engines provide plenty of power but they do drink the gas down (30-32 gph). I have other friends with 42' Silverton Sedan Bridges with diesels. They run well also. Their fuel burn is still 25-30 gph. It really comes down to how you are going to use the boat. Gas enignes work just fine for casual/family cruising. Diesels works better for longer runs and fishing.

Correction: I meant to type 8.

Correction: I meant to type 8.1 H.O. Crusaders (Capt Choice) not Mercruiser "Horizons". I wasn't thinking when I was typing. Duh!

"Greg hits the nail on the hea

"Greg hits the nail on the head as they say in that the DIESELS will give you many more hours in life span, be less costly to operate and will provide significantly longer range per tank of fuel. Two of my friends have these same boats and both have diesels. They can reach places on 1 tank of fuel I can only dream of with a smaller boat and GASOLINE.

In that size boat it is my opinion...but you would be happier in the long run with diesel power."

Back