Logo

Bringing 73 95hp back to life

adwynn63

"Just joined today, I have a 1

"Just joined today, I have a 1973 Evinrude 9.5 hp, M# 9322B. It's been in storage for several years and I need help bringing it back to life. I'm not too worried about the inpeller and lower gear lube at this time although I know they need to be changed before I take it in the water. The motor itself is very clean and the plugs has a healthy spark, plugs are new and gapped at .30, wires are like new, no cracks, fuel lines are also in good shape. Fuel is mixed at 50-1.
Motor will start and run very briefly before shutting down. The plugs don't seem to get fuel to them. Sounds like a carb problem. I tore apart carbs on lawnmowers and soaked then in B-12 chemtool carb cleaner and had no problem. I have plenty of tools, nothing special. If it sets for a few hours it will start again right away and run for another few seconds before shutting dowm.
Right now I just want it to start and run, then I'll change out the impeller and gear oil before I get it in the water. I hope I gave enough information. Help!"

"Clean the carburetor. Sitting

"Clean the carburetor. Sitting for that length of time, no doubt it's somewhat fouled."

"Carb very simple to clean, on

"Carb very simple to clean, only need remove the top (5 screws). Check fuel pump. With carb full of fuel, remove feed line from pump to carb at the carb and direct into small container....use vise grip or what have you. Start motor and observe delivery, you probably won't have any.....just my guess. These motors had a very nice carb design which drained out completely when laid down. Follow fuel hose testing that I posted earlier. If hose and tank check out then go after the fuel pump. At one point you should check and clean or replace points and cond. With low hours they probably only need a cleaning. Will reply later with which post I included my fuel supply line test. Regards, Tim"

"See "1981 Johnson 15hp fu

"See "1981 Johnson 15hp fuel problem" Good luck, this is one of the finest outboards ever built, I sell tuned and serviced "Stubbies" for $400 to $600. At 36" long and barely 55 lbs they are incredibly handy. Front shifter, easy starting, great trim adjusting system.......you can't drop the lock rod in the lake. Shallow water drive......everything access from the front. Low profile for fishing lines, nice long tiller reach, handy low speed and idle adjusting. Brilliant engineering, brilliant! Enjoy your "New" motor."

"those carb kits,...are dealer

"those carb kits,...are dealer only...no aftermarket avail,...that i am aware of...but get it.."

"Thanks for having me, there&#

"Thanks for having me, there's an Evinrude dealer I can get to, also there's a good marine salvage yard less than an hours drive away so parts shouldn't be a problem, like I said it's a good clean motor, just waiting on my service manual.
Could I clean the carb without buying a rebuild kit?"

"YES,..of course,but get the k

"YES,..of course,but get the kit,..the factory kit has a new float ,gask,etc,....do it right....once.."

"Hi, Still my guess is the fue

"Hi, Still my guess is the fuel pump. Like I said earlier, these carbs rarely foul up unless the motor was stored upright and the fuel wasn't run out. I have recovered many of these motors from scrap and sales. Mice love them for nesting and chew the fuel supply hose between fuel pump and carb. Sometimes take a few bites out of the plug wire too. Soundproofing material in cover is prime nesting material as well. I have yet to find too much to get them running like a Rolex. So get a fuel pump kit too, if you don't use it....send it to me, I'll pay the postage too. Thanx, Tim"

"Maybe $20, havn't purchas

"Maybe $20, havn't purchased one in a long time. Still using what I've bought at auctions."

Back