Logo

Random blow by

tbrodes

Regular Contributor
"Guys,

Engines have been r

"Guys,

Engines have been running great this season. I have noticed a bit more steam than earlier this season (3 foot wafting trail), but all the boats in the area with big inboards are seeing steam as well as its been low 90s, humid, and the water temps are 77-81 degrees! Temps are 170, oil 60 psi, 14 volts charging, 3200 RPM cruising.

Today was running home from a great day of beaching when about a half mile from the entrance I smelt a little burning oil, then I looked back and saw a big cloud. Gauges were fine, powered right down, jumped through the day hatch to check the engine, all sounded fine, BUT i did see a redeiculously loose spark plug. slowly went in a 1600 RPM no oil blow by. Got boat to the dock, no visible sign of loss of oil via dipstick, Tightened spark plug back up (fine) and revved the eengine back and fourth, not even a hint of oil.

Could it have just been a momentary stuck valve??

Let me know what else I should check!"

"hmmm, I doubt a loose plug wi

"hmmm, I doubt a loose plug will cause an external cloud. Maybe a concidence. Could the smell be burning rubber, not oil? How old are the elbows?"

"Ted:

if that cloud was gre

"Ted:

if that cloud was grey, take Dave's hint and check the exhaust hoses. We went tuna fishing one day, running 40 nm due south. At 36 miles out, I saw a big long grey cloud. Then the overheat horn started chirping as I reached the helm. Best we could tell, we big up an ice bag or something similar that closed off the inlet until the suction stopped and it disappeared. 4' of 4" hose and we were back in business.

It doesn't take much time when the water flow is restricted to burn those hoses."

"very good point gents. I will

"very good point gents. I will check in the am! Temps were steady at 170 BUT it makes more sense then oil...

Assuming no obvious marks on the exhaust hoses, any way to check the risers without yanking them. The weather is just so nice and I know the parts will take a few days...

Could i undo the hoses from the heat xchanger going to the risers/elbows and try flushing with the hose to make sure the passages are clear?

Let me know!!"

""Could i undo the hoses f

""Could i undo the hoses from the heat xchanger going to the risers/elbows and try flushing with the hose to make sure the passages are clear?"

Yes, also, with your hands, squeeze the exhaust hose out of each elbow/riser. Feel for a major reduction in wall thickness and/or unusual loss of flexibility."

"you were right. Plugged riser

"you were right. Plugged riser. Got hunks of cast iron out and she ran good as new. Will replace next spring. Went out striper fishing in the afternoon off nantucket. 36 miles each way, 3300 RPM cruise, steam but 170 and 60 psi, never missed a beat! THANKS!!!"

Back