Logo

Water getting into io 50 v8 260hp

jsterk

"I'm recently married &amp

"I'm recently married & my husband has a 2001 larson sei that he purchased new - never has had any problems until this summer. I've had several boats myself and don't consider myself very mechanical, but my husband is less mechanicaly minded. I would appreciate any comments about the situation with this boat. The boat wouldn't start & when we took it into the shop we were told water in the gas tank. We're told to check the fuel seperator and there definetly would be water in the gas. My husband put seafoam in the tank & seemed to help the problem. Checked the fuel seperatory when we would go out & no water in the seperator. Went skiing for the first time & boat made strange noises. Took the boat into the shop & spark plugs were replaced - mechanic said the boat "purred like a kitten" Took the boat out & it died within 2 minutes of leaving the dock. The mechanic said "water in the gas tank again" , then when we were going to pick up the boat he said the 2 pistons were out and that it would be ready for the weekend. Then he called my husband & said the water was in the crank case & the boat needed a rebuilt motor at a cost of $3000.00 with 1000.00 labor. At the begiining of the summer the mechanic wanted to bypass the gas tank & put portable tanks in the boat - now it is a new motor. We have had the boat in this shop numerous times and already have incuured subtantial costs for repairs before this last episode. I've had several boats myself with major repairs and this just doesn't make alot of sense to me. Any ideas on the causes of this problem"

"Wow! That mechanic has you by

"Wow! That mechanic has you by the "prop"! Water in the crank? Sounds like the cooling system leakage, like a head gasket or someting. Water would not get into the crank via fuel/water seperator unless your pumping straight water into the carb. I dont deal with marine mechanics, they are oppertunists and know that boating season is "short" so they try to drum up as much work as they can to survive the off season.Educate yourself with te basics of how internal combustion engs work and you have a better idea of what can go wrong on marine engs. I do my own work, marine mechanics hate me and usually dont like to give out info on simple things you can do yourself. They rather charge you $60-80 per hr. Now you are forced to make a season ending choice of rebuildng your motor. Next time get a second opinion and ask alot of questions."

Thanks for the advice. I thin

Thanks for the advice. I think we may still get a second opinion. I don't believe the new rebuilt engine can be ordered until this Mon. I'm concerned that we would put in a new rebuild and still have a water problem.

JANE Ive had my present boat 1

JANE Ive had my present boat 10 yrs now----this yr is most Ive spent on boat yet---I had two "go back to the shop"--I wont be going back to this one---which does major warranty work for three Factories---anyways first time to this shop the top boot on stern drive did'nt get installed/clamped or inspected---ruined Gimbal bearing---back 4.5 hr tow again----they fixed that but did'nt install a seal as requested---sea pump bearing was bad to begin with on that one----watch these dudes like a hawk---on the coast of NC Ive had only one shop that I could trust in 20 yrs and they messed up only once in 10 yrs---good luck

Back