Logo

Electronic Ignition

morghale

"I have a 1986 ChrisCraft, I j

"I have a 1986 ChrisCraft, I just replaced my points system with Pertronix Ignitors. When I first put these on my 220 crusaders, the engines idled and ran fine. as soon as I put the boat under a load they engines started backfiring through the carbs and acting crazy.I did one thing wrong however when I hooked it up I left the ballast resistors of. I was planning to put them back on when I new they worked fine. However I put the ballast resistors back on and they acted the same. I am thinking about going back to my points. Anyone got any ideas"

"Could be that the ignition ti

"Could be that the ignition timing is way off. I would check it at 3000rpm. Also, did you replace the ign wires or cap? Maybe a wire got mixed up."

"I'm w/ Dave though thinki

"I'm w/ Dave though thinking the advance mechanism should be checked first.

Also, running a resistor coil w/o the resistor may have heated the windings enough to stress the insulation causing breakdown in the secondary, internally to the coil. You can use your timing light to detect the intermittent spark."

"You want to test the timing i

"You want to test the timing in neutral, from idle (10 deg BTC) to 3000rpm (28 - 30 deg). You will need either an adjustable timing light or a degree decal for you harmonic balancer."

"Thanks for the advice guys. I

"Thanks for the advice guys. I put my points back in and the engine works fine. I think I will leave the points in it seems like less hassle.
What exactly is the benefit of these ignitors anyway.Is it worth my while to try and get them working properly.I put them in the boat idled great I took the boat out never even got to 2500 rpm and they broke down, then they would not work properly even at idle."

"no wear block to maintain, no

"no wear block to maintain, no contacts to burn, no points floating as spring wears and rpm goes up.

I did a similar switch years ago and haven't had an issue since."

"I switched our other boat a f

"I switched our other boat a few weeks ago and it runs very nicely. As stated, less maintenance"

Put them in my crusader 4.3&#3

Put them in my crusader 4.3's and had your same problem. mechanic said to re time the engines and now they are working great.

put a timing light on it....

Back