Logo

Need more power

yvonat

"I got a 1997 BF25 on a boat r

"I got a 1997 BF25 on a boat rated for a 30 hp , I'm OK on regular fishing trip but when I got the hole family I can't make it plane ? what would be involve to modified it to a 30 hp almost all the part are the same # except the carb and jet if I'm right . need feedback if its worth it to go to the trouble , can't buy another one ( no PO from the wife ) . PS I all ready drop my prop from a 10x13" to a 10x11""

"The cam and the cdi are diffe

"The cam and the cdi are different too. I do not think just changing the jets is going to do it for you.

Since the 25A normally ships with a 12" prop, I assume someone has checked your boat with a tachometer to determine that you really needed a 13" and with one person, to tach as it should at full throttle.

If that is true, dropping to an 11" will help keep your engine rpms where they should be and make it easier to handle the additional load. Depending on the weight of your family and where they are in the boat, it still may not have enough "beef" to actually plane. You just have to give it a try."

"Thank you for the reply ,I wa

"Thank you for the reply ,I was gone to set up the hunting camp . That's what I was thinking that it wouldn't be that easy to modified the motor . I got an 11" pitch prop that I just tried on this trip and its just shy of doing the trick for me . Got no choice I need a bigger motor on that boat ."

"A couple of other thoughts th

"A couple of other thoughts that I have seen people try and were successful.

1. Install a hydrofoil on your motor. It helps get the back of the boat up. You do have to drill into your engine but is easy to install.

2. Install instantabs on your boat. This site sells belms and has some pictures. http://www.iboats.com/Nauticus_SX_Smart_Tabs/dm/view_id.352485--dz.54646.
They are totally automatic. I even had one customer go to a larger size prop after he put these on.

3. A four bladed prop also helps get the back end up, but seems to lose top end on most boats."

Back