Logo

Volvo 260A and 290 Leg

coaster

Regular Contributor
Was this a good motor and driv

Was this a good motor and drive ? Was it a good combinations and were there different drive ratios? Thanks in advance.

"My ideal engine/drive combo &

"My ideal engine/drive combo (in staying with the AQ series) would be one of the roller cam/follower SBC's with either the DP C or SP C drives (looks very much like the 290 drive).
The DP C1 would be my choice.
Ratios will be 1.95:1 and 1.61:1 respectively.

This drive eliminates the reverse latch, eliminates the SS cylinder swing bracket, has a great cylinder system, offers NO Gimbal system, easy bellows replacement, uses an all steel drive coupler, no routine engine alignment after initial install, No thru hub exhaust and will still fit your existing AQ series transom cut out (may require slight modification).

The AQ 260 Flywheel Cover can use the fine spline PDS and will accommodate the transmission drive shaft fwd yoke.
The AQ 260 style exhaust mans/risers will work with the "C" Y pipe, etc.

IMO, it does not get much better than this drive!

."

"I had this setup in my Baylin

"I had this setup in my Bayliner 2560 before I brought it. Now It has no motor(long story)and Im tryin to find an original Aq260a,the red motor and if I cant,Im converting a heavy duty pickup trk motor into marine! Thats right a conversion because I discovered the big secret of the major marine eng suppliers! Cosmetic changes and nesessarry cooling conversions will make my 5.7 marine. I'll throw in a FWC system and I'm good to go...Where can I find a wiring harness for the aq260a? any suggestions? Thanks, I'll need all the help I can get..."

"James! You are a only partial

"James! You are a only partially correct with regard to some of the similarities between these engines....... As for the rest of it, you are being mis-informed.
You do not want to use the truck engine......
stop.gif
..... not unless this is a small 21-22ft (or under) boat.... even then, I'd not suggest it!
The truck engine will be using the "dished pistons"!
You can build yourself a real nice, mild horse power, SBC Marine engine using a Quench Effect piston/head combination and the correct camshaft profile for a few boat dollars more!
The added cost is minimal!

Don't shoot yourself in the foot with the truck engine regardless of what you are hearing from these mis-informed people!

."

"Among the "cosmetic"

"Among the "cosmetic" changes...
marine carb
marine starter
marine alternator
marine distributor
marine fuel pump

By "marine" in the above list, I mean items that are modified per USCG requirements and approved for use in a boat.

And if you use a late model engine with an electric fuel pump, you will need to install a cutoff that will shut down the fuel pump should the oil pressure go too low.

Another cosmetic change on some late model marine engines... the dip stick tube is designed so that you can drain the oil pan dry with a simple vacuum pump when youwant to change the oil. Also... some marine engines have the oil filter remoted so you don't have to crawl in the bilge to change the filter.

OH... almost forgot.. The fuel line from the pump to the carb is also special marine."

Back