Logo

351 windsor

ecw067

"I have a 1977 wellcraft suncr

"I have a 1977 wellcraft suncruiser 255 with a 351 windsor with mercruise out drive. I am having a power problem, boat will not run above 19 mph. When I am wide open the rpm's go to 3300-3400. should they be higher?
also what is the proper propellor for this set up. Distributor cap and wires are new as are plugs, What is recommended plug gapping. Any other helpful info as to what I should check will be greatly appreciated."

Hi Eric

Hi Eric
I think yo

Hi Eric

Hi Eric
I think you should put your post in the mercruise form. How long have you had the boat. Did it run ok in thr past There are a lot of things it could be. You will have to give a bit more info. I am sure someone can help. I am a Ford man from way back. I will keep a look out the the merc form and try to help you out.

"Just a little confused after

"Just a little confused after working to many night shifts and overtome. Any ways I found out a few things, First off previuos owner had back firing problems after putting new distributor and rotor in, because of back firing they changed firing order to get it to stop. Rotor was in wrong. Changing firing order back to what it is supposed to be. what is proper gapping for points and plugs? I will be adjusting the timing
saturday morninig. It is also uder proped but not to worried about that just yet. I need to get it in right firing order and timed right first after putting rotor in right. I'll report back after that. Thanks for the help."

Eric

You will have to reset

Eric

You will have to reset the whole thing. First pull the distributor. bring number 1 piston to TDC ( top dead center ) with the vales closed. Put the distributor in with the rotor pointing to number 1 sparkplug wire on the cap. that will be a good place to start.

"Eric, your point gap should b

"Eric, your point gap should be between .0016-.0020,and plug gap at .0035. Your wot should be between 4000-4400"

Make sure the secondary is ope

Make sure the secondary is opening up on the carb at WOT Eric. May be a carb rebuild

Back