Logo

Fiberglass gelcoat repaint and restoration

genesis

"I am a "newbie" when

"I am a "newbie" when it comes to glasswork and the gelcoating process when it comes to boats. I did build a sail boat once and fiberglassed over a wood structure, so I know how fiberglass works and the basic principles needed to apply it. I am wondering though the best way to restore the gelcoat on my 74 Caravelle. After 35 years the gelcoat has faded and is chipping in spots and has random holes from things being attached and removed. the bow is also worn down from being coasted on to sand beaches. Just wondering if anyone could provide me with some basic instructions on the best way to go about restoring and painting. I have done some research on other websites and am willing to do the work. But where I get lost is in things like do you have to completely remover the gelcoat or just rough it up and smooth the filler that you use? if I just rough the gelcoat up, how is the best way to repair chips and holes? whats the best way to repair the bow? Again, I am willing to do the work and am going to go around and ask the professionals, maybe purchase some videos too but the cheaper and less time I waste doing those things the more time I can put into the prep and enjoy the new paint job."

"Noah,

Sounds like painting

"Noah,

Sounds like painting is your best option. As long as the surface is clean and smooth and prepared well the paint should turn out great. Follow the paint manufacturers instructions for preparation and priming. There are several videos on You Tube that can step you throught the process of fiberglass prep. Small dings, scratches and gouges can be filled with a marine fairing compound. It mixes and applies just like auto body filler except it is a version for marine use (above the water line). You can use the same filler compound on larger areas so long as the basic fiberglass matrix is good and all structural repairs have been done. Old screw holes can be filled with Marine Tex. Through bolt holes can be filled by wooden dowls with expoxy and drive them in to fill the hole. Grind down below the surface and reglass if necessary. Then fair with same filler compound. The final filled/repaired areas need to be smooth and even. All the rest needs a good sanding to prep for primer. Do not remove the gelcoat layer totally. Just key the surfaces with light sanding. Apply the recommended primer. After the primer is dry you will see what areas need retouch with filler. It's important that everything is smooth and even before paint because small nicks and dings will stick out like a sore thumb after paint. Roll the paint on and follow immediately with tipping brush. Work small areas. Take your time and it can look like a spray job. Have fun."

"Well thanks greg. Was out tod

"Well thanks greg. Was out today and talked to the local mastercraft, nautique, and sea ray dealers and they were kind enough to give me the people they use for boat repair, and after being in contact with them, will be bale to get my hands on some good primers and paints. not its just time for the weeks of prep work. hopefully no more problems arise but I appreciate the advice will try and get any more questions up ASAP and perhaps when done before and after. pics. Thanks Again"

Back