Logo

To new for me need some advice or ideas 1986 60hp

piperjak

Regular Contributor
"Problem - 1986 60 hp Evinrude

"Problem - 1986 60 hp Evinrude 3 cyl. The owner says he cannot get it over 2500 rpm. He has 135-138 compression. He has changed props, cleaned the carb, adjusted the fuel mixture, changed the fuel lines, the fuel tank. He has 2.5 - 3 lbs. of fuel pressure. Could it be out of time maybe??? Any ideas? It won't open up, so he just puts along."

"ck fuel for watr--advance thr

"ck fuel for watr--advance throttle all the way,make sure timer base,under flywheel,is advancing to the rubber 'stop'...make sure carb butterflies are open fully....ck the spark..ck coils for cracks,and any arcing,during ign tests.if all good,i'd go into carbs making sure....they are very clean,and ,particularly,the high speed jets,in the bottom of the carb bowls..did he inst new carb kits?...may have a needle or 2 sticking,restricting fuel.disc fuel pump vacuum line,squeexe primer bulb,..should be no fuel coming out...ck fitting on block for free flowing...i dont think,the 86 has the S.L.O.W. feature,..i think,those were about 89..not sure,..but he could prob use a new water pump,in any case..overheat,would set-off SLOW,function,if present on that eng,keeping u at or near 2500"

"evinrude model number CE60TLC

"evinrude model number CE60TLCCR.

Just bought the boat and motor at an estate sale.

Was told it has not been run for a couple of years but was stored properly when put away.

Changed the gas can, bulb and hoses along with new plugs before I even turned it over.

First off the outer cover says it is an evinrude 70 VRO however, looking up the model number I see that it is a 3 cyl 60hp. How can I confirm this is a 60 and not a 70. serial number is C7230633. I also mix my gas and cannot even see where an oil tank would be on the motor so I am assuming that VRO is non existant.

Put it on the water and went out to play, first off I noticed idle was too high and after about 15 minutes of full throttle operation engine acted like it lost a cyl. Do not know why. Brought it to the shop and the carb linkages were adjusted and timing was set up ( supposably off)

went back out and cyl dropping out problem was gone but motor does not like to run at slow speeds, idles down like it is running low on fuel then dies, restrting it after this happens is usually difficult.

I was told to rebuild thwe carbs and reset up. I am not really familier with marine mechanics so I thought I would get some opinions.

lastly, I am told that it does not have a choke but a fuel enrichment system which is electrically actuated, The control is on my console coupled with my key, (ignition says push to choke) my question wopuld be if I push and keep pushed does the enrichment system keep pushing fuel into engine or does it operate like a primer, 1 push means 1 pump"

Back