Logo

AQ131A Timing Pulleys

brian_zim

"I finally got a hold of new t

"I finally got a hold of new timing pulleys for my AQ131A, but I can't figure out how to remove the old crank pulley. Their is no way (that I can see) to get a puller on it. Anybody know a trick or am I missing something simple?"

"If totally 'stuck', t

"If totally 'stuck', take a grinder and make a 2 jacks. Then you may be able to use a small 2 leg puller to get it off."

"Thanks, I will try that. Thi

"Thanks, I will try that. This pulley has a belt guide on the back of it. Is that a separate part, or is it one piece? Should I try to pull from behind the belt guide?"

"I just thought about that a l

"I just thought about that a little more. You meant make jacks on the pulley with the grinder, didn't you. That makes makes more sense. Sorry for the slow uptake."

"Normally you should be able j

"Normally you should be able just to pull it all off 'by hand'.
loosen the center bolt, but leave it in by 3-5 turns.
The belt pulley should come loose. If not carefully use a 2/3 leg puller to loosen it.
Next is the gear. If that is 'stuck', use the grinder and make the jacks as mentioned above.
291098.jpg
"

"Thanks for the help both of y

"Thanks for the help both of you. I had the belt pulley off once before (when I put a new timing belt on), and your right, it just came off. Unfortunately, I didn't get the saltwater system sealed up as well as I should have, and now it get to do it again. When I pulled the belt pulley a few weeks ago, I did have to use a 3 leg puller. This time I'm doing it right--following the wise advice I've read on this forum many times--and replacing the timing pulleys instead of just the tensioner and belt.

While I had everything apart, I decided to replace the exhaust manifold (mostly to check the # 4 port, and it already has the insert). I also pulled the head and intake manifold off to clean everything up. Their weren't any leaks, so I'm pretty sure everything is true. What's the best way to prep the surfaces for the new gaskets in this case?

I'm also taking the opportunity to put in the pertronix ignition. Before I do that though, is their a way to test the function of the coil off the boat? The start of this project was a backfire during a cold start, which I think caused my new belt on old pulleys to slip again. I reset the timing with the old belt, just to get the boat from the slip to the ramp, but wasn't able to get it to start, so I think I may have an ignition issue from the salt water too. Just to be sure, I'm replacing all of the wiring, and have a new alternator. I have no real reason to think the coil is bad, but if it's possible to test it somehow, I thought it would make sense."

"Morten, I've been reading

"Morten, I've been reading this thread and must admit, I've not heard the term "jack" used for this scenario before. I suppose that we use different terminology in different parts of our country!

After thinking about it, I'm assuming that a "jack" cut would be similar to what a timber faller (of days of old) would have used when they would make several wedge cuts into a tree for securing their scaffolding planks?
Are you speaking of a sacrifice cut to the old pulley so that the three jaw puller would bear into the "cut" for the "pull", yet not damage the belt guides? Good idea, if so!

I've done something similar in the past, but had not heard that term "jack" used in this way before.
Ya learn sump'n new every day!

."

Back