Logo

I AM STUMPED 225 Ocean Pro hard to start then runs fine

"OK that makes sense to me. T

"OK that makes sense to me. The boundry layer grows which slows the flow along the carb wall to a theroretical "zero" velocity. The slower velocity in turn does not pull as much vacuum due to a lower pressure differance and therefore the motor does not get as much gas through the venture and runs lean.. OK that being said, one I do figure out why this motor keeps dying I will change those "scratched" carbs out one at a time, while running the motor briefly in between each change out. This way if I do create a problem I know exactly which carb it is.

So that problem was allot simpler to solve than I thought it would be, if I could just get the motor running it would be great."

"Jason,
You are making this W

"Jason,
You are making this WAAAYYYYY too complicated...4.5 ohms vs 5.5 ohms, manual for 1996 vs 1997...swapping carbs one at at a time...no the 1994 thru 1999 carbed loopers are all alike. I am being very serious here.

IT IS NOT THAT COMPLICATED.

I urge you to get that trailer registered, and come on up here. We can have it fixed in a day, any you will be thoroughly educated on the workings of this motor.

Really."

"I find the easiest engine to

"I find the easiest engine to fix is one that will not run, intermittent problems are a pain because you can't fortell when they'll bite ya.

You ought to take Doug up on his offer, I paid a tech to come to my biz and walk me through the engine, cost me $175 for 4 hrs and we went through everything including the boat and trailer."

Do Gerald's suggested tro

Do Gerald's suggested troubleshooting and try to narrow the problem down between spark or fuel. You might try contstantly pumping the primer bulb while the motor is running to make sure fuel is refilling the carbs. Could be a fuel pump problem.

"I GOT IT!!!!!! The inner mag

"I GOT IT!!!!!! The inner magnet that is under the fly wheel was spinning completely freely!!!

url]

url]

url]

OK so to recap the process I went through briefly...

Rebuilt carbs 3, or 4, maybe even 5 times, twice with a mechanic here helping me. No matter what it lean sneezed. Decided enough is enough and posted that I was going to take it in.

Then decided screw that I am not giving up. Called a few more mechanics till I found one that sounded honest and like he knew his shizit.. hard to find now a days seams like.

Anyways, he came out and spent 4 hours going through everything. Kinda funny to see him get frustrated like I did thinking, and saying out loud, WTF this thing should run!
By the end of the day and after running though all 6 carbs yet again, we decided it had to be the power pack or timer base. He had a spare power pack at his house so the next day he came back with it. Well that is not the problem. So with that he says we gotta pull the fly wheel off and get to the timer base.

As soon as the fly wheel pops off we see the problem. The inner magnet ring had came loose and was half way sticking and half way spinning. In addition the timer base is toasted.

Looked around and I have found a new fly wheel but still need the timer base. CDI wants $268 or something like that. But I found it on "outboardignition.com for $248, has any one ever dealt with them?

Does any one have one of these timer bases that they want to sell by chance?

Also have a question about the flywheel inner magnet. Is it possible to re attach it to the flywheel? If you notice in my third picture there is a alignment groove and a omc pain mark that do actually coincide with one another. The epoxy that broke free has hills and valleys that make the two align perfectly. Can I re-attach them some how?"

"Jeff, thank you for the link,

"Jeff, thank you for the link, I checked it out. I think the magnets are different than what i am talking about. The inner magnet ring that I speak of controls that timing of the motor. From what everyone e has told me if it is off by even 1 degree it will not bring good things down the road and that I should just trash the fly wheel and buy a new one. Honestly I think that with the alignment marks that I have on mine I should be able to do it. But I went and bought a used fly wheel yesterday for $250 and would rather be safe than sorry.

Although I think I will be sorry because I am just not convinced that you can not reattach them...

DOUGE YOU ARE THE MAN!!!! THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH FOR YOUR GENEROSITY!!!!"

"I have previously been told b

"I have previously been told by a "pro" that there is no way to re-align the ring. Having said that, it your has "marks" that clearly show how it is supposed to go, I would have definately re-epoxied and tried it. It will either run correctly or not, and you will know right away."

PS--thanks for sharing this wi

PS--thanks for sharing this with us. I would have never suspected this to be the problem in a million years. I wonder how many others have similar issues.

"I know of "pro"s that

"I know of "pro"s that wouldn't bother and will tell you to just replace the part because they want to make money. I know other "pro"s that will repair a part to save a customer some money.

If its clearly marked, then you have nothing to loose but glue and a little time. You may want to think about checking the timing, and adjusting if needed. (sorry if I'm a little of, i didn't go back and read the entire post or check the manual to see if there is/isn't an adjustment, I did read the post before and am working on RAM at the moment.) -brian"

"jason, that collar looks smoo

"jason, that collar looks smooth from what I can see. Is it smooth all the way around? If so I'd put some epoxy on it and get my money back from the new one . You said there were defined edges in the glue so it should line up exactly the way it was before."

"cdi,has alignment specs,for t

"cdi,has alignment specs,for the timer rings...and diagrams...u can re-epoxy it back on.."

"i saw it,....my guess is some

"i saw it,....my guess is someone played,w/jetting..i'd inst the ones that r supposed to be in it.."

"All Great info guys!!!

Dou

"All Great info guys!!!

Doug, who as I said before is the man, came and helped me yesterday, Sunday, and we made allot of progress, followed by some disappointment. It is like 2 AM right now but I will go into details latter tomorrow or there after, but for now briefly...
We got the motor pretty much dialed in, but came to discover that the lower unit needs to be rebuilt
blush.gif

Thank each and every one of you for all of your input, every last bit of it has been helpful!!!!!!"

Back