Logo

1995 Mercury 2 stroke

bigtimber

Motor runs great..idles fine..

Motor runs great..idles fine..wot troddle fine....but when you shut it down for more than say...5-10 minutes you have to prime bulb back up and have to neutral rev again. ....have tried two new fuel lines and primer bulbs..replaced all fuel connections twice as well...did a compression check and perfect..also ..also installed a new set of NGK plugs.....Maybe the fuel pump bleeding back?? Fuel tank?? What do you guys think?

"..."Maybe the fuel pump b

"..."Maybe the fuel pump bleeding back"

That's not possible, but you need to do a little research to figure out what's happening here. suspect you are experiencing vapor lock caused by excessive heat inside the cowling. Try removing the cowling (as an experiment) after running it, then see if it still resists restarting.

Jeff"

"You mean the fuel pump doesn&

"You mean the fuel pump doesn't have a check valves system of sorts that could be,,,leaking back a bit? I can try the cowling off...but it does it whether it is cold (less than a minute of running from dead cold or an hour). If you prime the bubble back up,,,rev it,, off she goes and runs perfect. Will crank back up and runs perfect! IF you don't sit more than 5-10 minutes. Thanks for the responce...and I'll certainly try anything at this point."

"Just aquired boat and 50 hp 4

"Just aquired boat and 50 hp 4 pot 2 stroke mercury outboard. It hasnt run for at least a year, I have stripped cleaned/carbs and changed the plugs, proved the spark, fuel delivery, all seems up for it. Engine turns but will not fire. Can anyone give me a clue please."

I got a fuel pump kit coming..

I got a fuel pump kit coming...something fairly easy to try...Thanks. Never seen one do this. Anyone else have any suggestions?

Back