Logo

Distributors

rich_p

Regular Contributor
I am currently running Accel 3

I am currently running Accel 37000 dual point mechanical advance distributors on ~'87 CH350's (454's). It is time for a point change but I am thinking of going with a pertronix electronic ignition (AC-182A). Any advantages/disadvantages on going electronic?

My 92 Crusaders use the Delco

My 92 Crusaders use the Delco E.S.T. distributors and don't have points. But it is very nice not needing to maintain them. Our Bayliner has points and they have performed nicely . Last week I had switched over to the Pertronix system and frankly I am looking forward to some very fine performace from it. It was an easy swap and the engine seems to start well and run smoothly so far...

"Still got those fingers tight

"Still got those fingers tightly crossed, Al?

I'll bet the blood isn't circulating all that well.....

Jeff"

You can fix a points type on t

You can fix a points type on the water. The Pertronix is good and I use them on my Triumph TR8 sports cars.

"Wow! That's got one of m

"Wow! That's got one of my all time favorite motors in it, the old Buick 215 aluminum V-8! Never seen a nice, light car that motor didn't make into a real winner. And, in Rover form, it rivaled the SB Chevy for longevity.

Jeff"

"I was thinking of keeping eit

"I was thinking of keeping either a set of points or a backup igniter (who am I kidding, if it breaks I'll still have the other engine) tucked away. I've got a '72 Spitfire for a summer toy. Still running points in that as well but will probably switch that over soon. Not quite a V-8, but it's a fun strret legal go-cart."

So the port engine is now elec

So the port engine is now electronic (second kit has not yet arrived). New question is do I cut out the ballast resistor going to the Accel Super Coil or do I keep it? Is it needed?

"The petronix sheets I've

"The petronix sheets I've seen are pretty clear - the Coil determines the need for the resistor.

Based on their recommendations, if its there leave it."

"Mark is right, If your coil

"Mark is right, If your coil has a ballast resistor your pertronix install sheets will direct you to leave it in place"

"Correct, but you can also buy

"Correct, but you can also buy a 12 volt coil and toss the resistor out. Less things to go weong.

Jeff"

Back