Logo

Machine Shops

tigershark

Contributing Member
"Hello, as it turns out I need

"Hello, as it turns out I need to rebuild my 1995 Johnson 88SPL. The #1 piston has a broken ring and piston damage. The cylinder walls are good.

Dos anyone know a good machine shop in Palm Beach or Broward Counties that could assist me? Maybe Martin County?

Thanks"

"Heeeyyyy.....
Right down my

"Heeeyyyy.....
Right down my alley...

Chris Carson's Marine in Key Largo. MM 98.6.
Very good guys, smart as hell about 'Rudes,
and very reasonable. Well worth a call, and visit them at http://www.chriscarsonmarine.com/

Good for a trip to the Keys too...."

Nobody can beat powerheadexcha

Nobody can beat powerheadexchange in Tampa on price

I was actually asking if anyon

I was actually asking if anyone knew of a REAL machine shop to help me with my powerhead.

Not interested in Carsons.

"Rob, thanks for the lead but

"Rob, thanks for the lead but I called and they really don't have anything I need. They said they could re-build it for 2000+...no

I think I may do the job myself. Wondering if there is someone in my area...palm beach/Broward that may be able to help???? Anyone???????"

"Most "real" machine s

"Most "real" machine shops don't touch engines because they are not set up for it and don't do them on a regular basis. To bring it into a "real" machine shop to do would cost you double for the boring and you may not get as accurate a job.

Engine rebuilding shops should be able to give you a "bore" only price without charging for a complete rebuild. I have been a machinist for 32 years and would not touch an engine because of the dynamics involved. I can do it, but I won't guarantee it. When it comes to cylinder finish between auto engines and outboard engines, there is a distinct difference, one that will make a great or lousy job.

Ask your local marine mechanic who they would get to bore out their own personal engines.

Most reputable engine rebuilders will employ a machinist that knows the ins and outs of machining blocks.

It all depends on how much faith you put into the person doing the bore job. Sloppy work will mean a destroyed cylinder and worse.

A better question to ask would be "Who should I avoid?" I am sure you can get lots of opinions on that."

"One other note, just because

"One other note, just because a cylinder "looks" good, unless you run a dial indicator up, down and around a cylinder, you will never know if there is ovality or taper in a sleeve. What may seem "tight" at the top may be sloppy as hell at the bottom of the cylinder giving lots of "blow by". My advice, leave it to the experts to bore.

What I used to do years ago with my motorcycle engines is to bring the new pistons to my local rebuilder and have them size the cylinders to the new pistons.

No two pistons are ever exactly alike. The manufacturers will have a + or -.001" tolerance. If the piston is on the small side and the cylinder is bored to the large side of tolerance, allowing , say, .004" clearance between the piston and wall, you could end up with upwards of .006" clearance on a brand new rebuilt sleeve."

"I see you ignore or miss my p

"I see you ignore or miss my post go to
http://www.powerheadexchange.com/
Ask for Vaughn its family owned and yes will bore one cyl if you so choose (he owns his machine) nothing sub contracted out !
I live in Orlando he was happy to drive out here and deliver my powerhead himself. Tell him Andrew sent you ..Call him .."

Back