Logo

2005 50hp 2 stroke

sparkiew

"i'm having a problem when

"i'm having a problem when I troll, it keeps on stalling.Starts right back up goes for 5min to 30 mins quits, starts backupGoes great under full power. Changed sparkplugs and inline fuel filter.Any help would be great."

"If your carbs have an idle ad

"If your carbs have an idle adjustment (I think they do), they might be a bit rich.

Jeff"

As soon as i turn the key on i

As soon as i turn the key on i get an alarm. I have checked my water flow looks good. Am thinking it might be my oil injection system. Any suggestions how to check this. i have a 1997 2-stroke 60 hp Mercury.

"Brian, is your alarm a steady

"Brian, is your alarm a steady "beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep" or itermittent "beep beep beep beep".

A steady beep is an "overheat" and the intermittent is "low oil".

If the oiler fails all together there is no alarm at all, will only tell you if it's low on oil, not if it's not working (which kinda begs the question, why bother with an oil alarm that don't tell you if it's working or not).

Anyhow, if you have a constant beep on start-up, it's obviously not overheating at that point so the you have a couple of "suspects".

First (and most likely) you have a bad temp sensor. They are a simple design and build cheap and do fail (fairly regularly).

The sensor works on simple resistance. As the motor heats up, the resistance falls. If it gets to about 190 degrees, the resistance drops to near zero, the circuit connects and you get an alarm.

Fortunately, when they fail, they get to zero resistance alot sooner - a good feature - while a pain in the butt, better than having no indication that the sensor is shot and toasting your motor if it really does overheat.

Next - an intermittent beep on start-up (if the oil tank is full) could indicate a toasted oil level sensor (also break quite often). There is a float/magnet in the tank, when the oil gets low the magnet connects to the sensor at the bottom of the tank and you get "beep beep beep beep" to tell you it's low on oil.

With this sensor, the magnet cracks and a piece goes to the bottom completing the connection and causing the alarm. However, the sensor at the base of the tank could also go bad, but that is less common.

If the magnet in the tank is shot, you have to replace the whole tank - no repair for that single part. If that was the case, personally I would simply disconnect the sensor and make sure I kept the oil topped up. I consider the oil level sensor only minorly useful and not worth the cost of repairing.

Lastly, the alarm module itself could be shot. If you can disconnect both sensors and it is still going off, then obviously it's shot..."

Back