Logo

30 Mercruiser wont run right after new fuel pump

marineman43

Contributing Member
"OK,here is the story.
Boat r

"OK,here is the story.
Boat ran good at idle,just would not plane out(chuged and then died)
Saw fuel in the tell tale so replaced fuel pump.

Then it would not start after that,saw alot of gas in the carb after trying to start.
So I took the float out and checked the needle and seat,didnt look that bad as far as gunk. ( Simi cleaned the carb the best I could with out a kit.
Put it back together and it did start . ( also cleaned the plugs as they were black and fouled from gas)

Now it will run but like crap,wont idle and after it dies noticed alot of gas still dripping in the carb.

Do I need to just rebuild the carb with a kit?

Thanks MIke
290843.jpg
"

I would Michael; 2BBLs are jus

I would Michael; 2BBLs are just too easy to rebuild. Get a new float for it and give it a good soaking; I like to soak it o'night if it may have hard varnish deposits in the idle circuits. Blow it out w/compressed air. Use a Merc. kit.

My thoughts to keep your carb and fuel system free of fuel deposits and running a long time is to use a good fuel and stabilizer w/each fillup. Stabil now makes one for use in regular or ethanol based fuels; bought a quart last night; green in color. It says it can stop water problems created w/ethanol fuel.

"I suggest you get the proper

"I suggest you get the proper base gasket for that carb, the one you are using is too thin. (can tell by the stud length) should be 1/4" thick. It's been posted here before and helped many people."

Back