Logo

AQ125 oil changes made easy

jaxworks

"I recently had the dis-pleasu

"I recently had the dis-pleasure of changing the oil in my AQ125 for the first time. After all the contorting, reaching, swearing and spilling of oil in the bilge, I decided there was 2 options...set fire to it and claim insurance or figure out a reliable permanent method.
I pulled the drain plug and drilled and tapped the center to 1/4 pipe thread and bought a 1/4 pipe x 3/8 hose bard 90 deg fitting. I permanently mounted the 12 volt oil change pump in the rear hold by the engine and wired it up with a switch and connected the hoses.
Now all I have to do is place a container on the floor near the engine, turn on the pump and badda bing, the oil is out! Change the filter, pour in new oil and stick a fork in me cause I am done!!"

"I hate to rain on your parade

"I hate to rain on your parade, but all electrical equipment in the engine compartment needs to be USCG approved, i.e. "explosion proof"."

The pump is NOT in the engine

The pump is NOT in the engine compartment (read the post) it is in the hold NEXT to the engine compartment. And so what if someone has already done it...I had fun solving my own problem.

RE: "in the rear hold by t

RE: "in the rear hold by the engine"

Given that recreational boats don't have "holds" I focused on..."by the engine".

Allen...mentally delete all th

Allen...mentally delete all the posts in between this one and your first cause I think your idea is the bombdiggity! Smart thinkin' indeed.

"Mark, thanx for the kind word

"Mark, thanx for the kind words. I was not trying to have a parade, blow my own horn, reinvent the wheel etc. I just happened to find a US Coast Guard approved oil change pump on Craigslist for a really good price and mounted it up and solved an ugly problem, end of story."

One of the primary reasons for

One of the primary reasons for forums like this is to ensure that the right questions get asked and the right answers/suggestions are given.
This includes safety related issues as well as good/great ideas.
General statement to all of us: Don't foo foo the thoughts and suggestions that initially appear to be negative.... they are usually given from experience and from a standpoint of safety!

I was not foo foo-ing anyone..

I was not foo foo-ing anyone...I was just thanking Mark and stating why I posted in the first place.

"HOLY CRAP! <[img]"http://www.

"HOLY CRAP!
stop.gif
HAMMERTIME!"

Thanx Adam...I should have kno

Thanx Adam...I should have known better than to post in the first place. I was just happy that I'd solved a crappy problem myself and wanted to share. I'll know better next time.

Back