Logo

Please help with 99 Johnson 150 Loop Charged

mh4255

"OK guys, I have seen this exa

"OK guys, I have seen this exact problem posted on this site and others, but there never seems to be a definitive answer. I'm going to copy and paste the description of my problem from a post on another site. This guys problem was never resolved either. Here we go...

"I have a 1999 Johnson 150 that is giving me trouble. When I first launch the boat and crank it, it idles fine, planes off fine, and runs pretty good. Then, when I shut the engine off and say, fish for an hour, then crank it up, that’s when the problems start. It cranks, but has a rough idle. When you put it in gear, it stalls out. I have to keep it in neutral and slowly rev it up to high rpm for a few seconds in order to try to plane it off. Sometimes this rev up and put it in gear process goes on several times and it’s getting worse and worse. If I can quickly give it full hard throttle and get it on plane, it runs fine then until you shut it off for a length of time and then the whole process starts over. The odd part is the first time it’s cranked for the day, it does fine. The problems start after it’s been run and then is shut off for an hour or so. This is very frustrating. Does anyone have any ideas what’s going on? Thanks."

I will also give you some background on what I have done to my engine lately. The stator was replaced last year, and a coil pack was replaced last month. Compression is good on all cylinders.

Thanks in advance guys. I've got to believe there are others out there researching this same problem due to the number of posts I have found on the subject."

"possable air leak in fuel lin

"possable air leak in fuel line,if you follow a standard start up ,pump the ball /pressure the line,run it,shut down,air leaks in.
just a thought."

Have you ruled out your shift

Have you ruled out your shift interrupt switch??? If not disconnect it and see. On my '97 200 it caused me problems similar to what you are discribing.

"Remove black/yellow wire from

"Remove black/yellow wire from the back of the ignition switch (kill circuit). Note that the engine cannot be shut down via the ignition switch with this wire removed.

If the problem vanishes, a slight intermitent short exists within that switch, in which case, replace it.

If the condition continues to exist, reconnect that black/yellow wire, then examine that stator you had installed last year. The two coils at the rear portion of that stator provide approximately 300v to the powerpack in order to energize the ignition. Should either of those coils start to melt down, that results in a voltage drop to the powerpack that in turn results in weak, erratic, and eventually no ignition when the stator is hot.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay store at:

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

"Hey, thanks for the input guy

"Hey, thanks for the input guys.
Wayne, a friend of mine mentioned the shift interrupt switch. I talked to my mechanic, and he said those were hard to find, but he would be on the lookout for one.

Joe, do you have a shift interrupt switch for my engine in your store?"

"Follow up...
My mechanic tol

"Follow up...
My mechanic told me I do need a shift interrupt switch, so if anyone knows a source for this part, I appreciate your help. However, this is not the cause for the problem I described above. I have experienced the shift interrupt problem twice since I've had the boat where the boat is actually getting up on plane, then dies suddenly.

I know the other problem (dies when starting out, won't idle when warmed up)is a seperate issue, because sometimes I can choke the engine while I'm giving it gas and I can get it up on plane.

Any more suggestions? Could it be my carbs? If so, is there a rebuild kit for that? Thanks again to all for your input."

"shift int sw,is not hard to f

"shift int sw,is not hard to find,unless they r back ordered,and i dont know about it,..i have repl 3 this summer,.no prob w/access... try on this site,...then try shop.evinrude.com then,...try northshore marine,in houston.seaway marine ,in seattle is a poss source.."

Back