Logo

1989 FORCE 125 HP CHOKE PROBLEMS

ryasaved

CHOKE SOLENOID ONLY CLOSES BUT

CHOKE SOLENOID ONLY CLOSES BUTTERFLIES HALF WAY IS IT SUPPOSED TO PULL PLUNGER UP ALL THE WAY COS I CAN PUSH IT UP MANUALLY
THANKS
JOHNNY

"no caps please.

Yes suppos

"no caps please.

Yes suppose to close fully, check to be sure you can close it by hand without restrictions, could be the connections are dirty and it's not getting full Volts and Amps it needs. Try a jumper wire directly to the battery. ( to the post on the solenoid) I've seen where the lower carb plate was fully closed, causing hard start and running, and when choked neither plate closed. Readjusted the plates all problems solved.

If you can post a pic of what you have and/or what its doing."

thanks for responding. i clean

thanks for responding. i cleaned plunger and solenoid and works great now i'm a newbie and fixing this old girl up hope to get her in water soon its alot to learn and repair thanks again

what type of fluid goes in tri

what type of fluid goes in trim and will decarbing help this 1989 125 force run stronger
thanks
johnny

"yea.. cleaning the plunger wo

"yea.. cleaning the plunger works too..

Not sure on the trim fluid, I'm working on a 125 now, I think it's the same year, which that one uses power steering fluid.

Stronger? Decarbonizing helps with deiseling or run on, not sure what you are looking for in running stronger, whats the compression numbers?"

"i've been told power stee

"i've been told power steering fluid, 30w non detergent and 10w40 so i'm lost as far as compression 103-112 i was told decarbing would increase compression therefore increasing horse power what do you think and thanks for your time and help"

"I dont think decarbing would

"I dont think decarbing would increase compression, as you are removing material from the chamber, if it did.. any increase would not be noticed. I feel the 103 and the 112 is low.

As for the fluid, I was playing with a 88 125 today and the fluid is red which is power steering type fluid, not straight oil, Star brite does make a "Clear" All Purpose Powersteering fluid but looks and feels like 30w oil except it was clear and not yellow."

"what is the comp on the other

"what is the comp on the other 2 cyls ? 103 is close to 10% of 112, if the other 2 are higher then you have a problem."

Agree with Brian- these engine

Agree with Brian- these engines always had "perfect" compression and a difference of as little as 5# has revealed a burnt cylinder. The easy way to check is the exhaust side cover. Just take a look at the side of each piston and gently press each ring to test for springy. Now is the time to catch a bad piston- when you can just re-hone it and replace the piston.

Back