Logo

Fuel Filters

sandmannn

Hello-1987 270HP crusader engi

Hello-1987 270HP crusader engines.Does anyone know the size & where I can purchase the metal tool that is used to remove the fuel filter canister that holds the cartridge filter (napa 3271) I'm looking for the one that fits the bottom of the canister & is turned with a 3/8 ratchet.My small filter wrench isn't getting the job done. Thank You

"That's 'cause it wasn

"That's 'cause it wasn't installed with grease on the o-ring; and was possibly over-tightened.

You can get yours off by driving a screwdriver though the body of the filter, then using it as a Tee handle to get it off. Sometimes, that's the only way that works, filter wrenches tending to collapse the body.

Jeff"

"Patrick:

If you're tal

"Patrick:

If you're talking about the small diameter (~ 2") factory filter, I don't know that there is a tool for it. Before I removed mine, I used to use a 'strap wrench'...a giant rubber strap with one end fastened to the handle and the other passed thru a slot after wrapping around the object to be spun."

"I agree with Fastjeff. For on

"I agree with Fastjeff. For one it is way overtightened if you cannot get it of by hand or a standard strap. But, the best way to remove stubborn oil filters or that style fuel filter is to put a phillips screw driver through the body and use it to twist. Tap it through with a hammer and use it as a handle. Its a little messy but works"

"I hate to add these 2 cents B

"I hate to add these 2 cents BUT:

1971...My friend Bob and I had a midnight oil change session on my 1966 Buick. I was maybe 17. As kids we simply saw the end goal. Did exactly that and ripped thru the filter. Now with his car we had to go to the gas station and borrow an oil filter wrench to complete the much more difficult job that could have been a 20 minute project before heading out tot he dinner for a grilled cheese sandwich at 1 am....

Bear in mind you could rip right thru the filer and still not remove it, then be in worse shape. There are many different types of filter wrenchs that could make it work. I used the one that looks like giant crab claws..."

"Something like this? Try Aut

"Something like this? Try Autozone, or a motorcycle shop. You need to know the diameter and number of flutes. or flukes?
290884.jpg
filter wrench

"All of these tools will work

"All of these tools will work UNLESS that sucker is really on. Then, all of the above tools will merely collapse the tin can so you have an even bigger problem. The spear and remove method always works but, as Mike said, it can be "messy".

Jeff"

"I have heard of people destr

"I have heard of people destroying the entire can, left with only the flange still attached. Then, they attacked it with a hammer and chisel.."

"Me too! Nasty deal. That&#39

"Me too! Nasty deal. That's why I always greease or oil the gasket, then tighten it by hand JUST enough to seal.

Jeff"

"Guys-thanks for the responses

"Guys-thanks for the responses so far.Fastjeff,I do oil the gaskets on both oil & gas filter installations & I have also removed oil filters with the screwdriver method in the past.What I'm talking about is the canister that holds the replaceable fuel filter on the inside.(take the canister off,remove & replace the filter element inside of it,then re-install) diver dave the picture you show is exactly what I'm looking for but I can't find it in a small enough size to fit the fuel canister.It seems that everyone sells just three sizes in a kit,but I need the next size smaller(60-65mm?) Thank You."

"I know what you are talking a

"I know what you are talking about. You can't "drive a screwdriver through it" because you have to use that piece again, right? When I am in a jam I take a piece of 3/8 or 1/4 inch rope and tie it to a stick. Then keeep wrapping it around the canister( start from the bottom) until you get to the top then use the stick as leverage to turn it off. As Fastjeff has said it may collapse but if you use the stick as close to the top as you can there is added strength there due to the fact that it is close to the threads. If that doesn't work generally, after scraping enough knuckles and getting pi$$ed off I end up with enough strength to turn it off with a pair of rubber gloves."

Had the same problem. I used a

Had the same problem. I used a S/S hose clamp on the canister. You can usually get a grip on it or work it around with a straight screwdriver. Clamp it as high up as you can get it. Tim

Back