Logo

1980 318s 31 silverton need heelp

"Correct. The two shafts rotat

"Correct. The two shafts rotate about each other, and that's where the "stick-tion" occurs.

Jeff"

"My 318 have been steaming sin

"My 318 have been steaming since I got this boat. It does not have water distribution tubes. I started looking for parts to replace the exhaust manifolds and found there are different parts. Like the end gaskets, one has a hole and one doesn't. Which goes where?? The water distribution tube, some have a slit some don't.I have V-drives, Which way do the tubes go? Can someone put me on the right course. Thanks DICK."

"The gasket with the hole in i

"The gasket with the hole in it is for RWC engines; the gasket without the hole (backed up by a plate) is for FWC engines.

I left one of those water distribution tubes out by accident and the exhaust on that side ran cooler. I've since tossed the rest out and both motors like it better that way.

That said, you need to determine WHERE the water enters your manifolds: is it in 'front' (at the timing cover end in your case) or down low near the back of the motor (the flywheel end). On mine, the water enters from the front, the highest point of the manifolds, then flows out the back. For ME, that works.

Get back to me on this and we'll discuss some more.

Jeff"

"Jeff, water enters in the bac

"Jeff, water enters in the back. I have V drives so their in backwards. I'm going to replace all manifolds and elbows. Raw water cools the fresh water. I'm sure you know that. I'm lead to believe I need the water dis. tubes. I really am at your mercy. Thanks DICK"

"richard, go to [url=""]www.os

"richard, go to www.oscomotors.com and find the link to the service bulletin #chr202. It will show and explain what you need to know about the tubes and how to plumb the manifolds. In a nutshell, the water should be injected as LOW as possible and dispossed as HIGH as possible,thus eliminating air pockets."

"For RWCooled motors, raw wate

"For RWCooled motors, raw water enters low and to the side on the flywheel end, flows uphill and to the timing cover end, enters the distribution tubes through the slots, and flows out the exhaust. With Vee drives, the motor is simply installed backwards.

For FWC motors, coolant comes in low on the flywheel end, flows through the manifold and out the front. Not sure if the distribution tubes are even used on FWC, to be honest. I'll attempt to find out and get back to you.

Jeff

PS: I suggest you ask the OSCO tech rep."

"Cobe: thanks for coming to he

"Cobe: thanks for coming to help, I can't seem to find any bulletins at that site. Is there somthing else I can try????? Dick"

"Sorry Dick, I thought there w

"Sorry Dick, I thought there was a direct link to that bulletin. Go back to www.oscomotors.com and click on the "chrysler" link to the left....you will see a few page numbered links drop down from it...click on the link to "page 25". Bingo!"

"OK!!! I think I'm going i

"OK!!! I think I'm going in the right direction. Not sure but its a start. Should I use all SS studs, with nuts and washers, or all SS bolts with washers, or some of each??? Does anybody know where to get all the things I need at a good price. Thank you guys for all your help. At my age I need all I can get. Dick"

I use plain old carbon steel n

I use plain old carbon steel nuts and grade 8 bolts. Stainless on stainless is a no-no; it galls and seizes.

Jeff

Back