Logo

Removing and replacing oil seal part #958860

threequez

can anyone advise on how to re

can anyone advise on how to remove oil seal part # 958860...do I have to remove the whole bell housing

thanks
jt

"OK, sounding a little sarcast

"OK, sounding a little sarcastic here... but why on earth would you want to change this seal without installing new PDS Bearings?

I can't express enough on how important it is to replace these periodically if no history of them having recently being replaced.

A rear bearing failure here can cause severe damage..... and damage not just limited to the Flywheel Cover itself. I've repaired transmissions from a bearing failure as well!

NOTE: This seal, while important, it not necessarily a critical seal to have in pristine condition.
It's the bellows job to keep water from this area..... the seal is to hold the grease into this PDS cavity. If she pukes a little, it is not a huge ordeal! IMO.

If your concern is water from a leaking bellows, I'd rather see you more vigilant on routine bellows replacement.

BTW, that seal is a 35x62x7mm seal in a TCM or Timken and can be purchased via your bearing supplier for about $5-7.
Two open bearings and these two seals will cost you about $39. "

"thanks for your help....I am

"thanks for your help....I am replacing the bellows unfortunately the mechanic who was planning on changing this "seal" decided to leave mesu on the hook for repairs as my summer goes flying by and I am now forced to make these repairs on my own as there are, for some reason, few qualified mechanics who will come to the marina to attach the stern drive and replace the bellows and hoses....I was simply acting on what this guy told me....but if it is not a critical fix at this time then all the better...I believe I would have to disconnect the engine to replace the bearing on this unit...correct?

jt"

"Julio, Maybe a phone call wou

"Julio, Maybe a phone call would be best for this..... you decide!

But for now, these are very simple drives to work on!
However, you mention; "few qualified mechanics who will come to the marina <u>to attach the stern drive</u> and replace the bellows and hoses"!
Are you suggesting that the entire drive was removed for this work????
If so, there was/is no need for this. In fact, it makes an easy task more difficult.
This work requires only the removal of the top unit... (the transmission)!

Again, maybe a phone call would be much easier than trying to explain all of this while trying to include some of the un-certainties.
If you care to, you can send an email to me by clicking on my user name!

As for the PDS Bearing(s)..... Mr. El P linked us to a V-8 schematic.... so I am going with the assumption that this is a V-8 engine!
If so, the V-8's in this year range used a two bearing PDS.
If you get lucky, the shaft can come out AFT but requires some make-shift type of pulling tool!
This allows only one of the bearings to come out with the shaft..... but that's OK.... the FWD bearing is primarily a "centering" bearing.
The AFT bearing is the critical one to replace.

Otherwise.... Yes... the engine must at least move forward to give room for driving the shaft out the aft end once all snap rings have been removed.

Now...... If this is an OHC 4 cylinder engine..... you are in luck!
This will be a single bearing PDS.
This shaft will/should easily come out the aft side w/out removing the engine!
Remove the two snap rings and it can come out AFT. (again, with some make-shift pulling tool)

You will need a very looooooong needle nose pliers with modified tips to fit the eyelets of the snap rings.
(don't waist any time with a regular snap ring pliers..... they just won't do it!)

."

"Related Question: would a bea

"Related Question: would a bearing puller with internal jaws remove that second bearing?? (knocker/ pull hammer)

Also, do you have a Timken # for the bearings (and seal) to have them on hand when doing this job? ( my local bearing house typically has to order parts- sigh........)

(I don't buy green bananas, if you know what I mean!)

This is for an early 290DP on a aq271c v-8.

Thanks, John"

"John, best to start a new the

"John, best to start a new thead. Tell us exactly what you wish to do. Or send an email to me.

Bearings/seals can be purchased via a local bearing supplier for a fraction of what V/P charges for the same thing.

."

Back